Senior Mindy Nguyen, right, is one of many sabres on the Penn women's fencing team who comes into the season with a national ranking.[Theodore Schweitz/DP File Photo]

As the fencing season returns, the violent clash of foils, epees and sabres can be heard well outside the doors of the Penn women's fencing team's practice room.

Penn competed in an exhibition match, the Temple Open, last weekend, but the Quakers' season officially begins Jan. 26 at Penn State.

This year, Penn has adopted a determined, confident attitude toward competition.

"We really had a young team last year," junior foilist Lauren Staudinger said. "We are definitely coming in with a different attitude."

After a stunning 14-13 loss to Yale and a loss to Harvard during the first weekend of Ivy League play last season, the Quakers regrouped and amassed a three-match Ivy winning streak. This run included a win over the Princeton, the eventual league champions.

At the beginning of last season, the Quakers and Tigers established a dual meet trophy for the victor of their annual bout. Penn's win of that trophy last year not only started the streak but also had a very sweet taste, as it was the first time Penn had defeated the Tigers in years.

"The Princeton players were crying when we beat them," Penn captain Mindy Nguyen said.

Penn's victory was facilitated by an 8-1 performance by the sabre squad, which will once again anchor this year's Quakers squad. The sabre team boasts numerous nationally ranked fencers, including junior Christina Verigan -- who was named to the second team All-Ivy squad and competed at NCAAs last year -- and senior Mindy Nguyen, who took 12th in last year's Temple Open.

Both athletes switched to the sabre when they came to Penn, filling needed spots and making sabre the strongest part of the team.

Penn lost just one fencer to graduation, but it was a quite significant loss. Three-time All-American epee Kari Koley will leave a large void to be filled. Also, junior sabre Dora Chiang is injured and will not play for the beginning of the season.

Facing adversity and pressure to perform, Penn's six new freshmen -- Ching-Yu Chiang, Emmanuelle Humblet, Yael Miller, Talia Parnass, Rebecca Richman and Kate Zimmerly -- need to be up to the task for the Quakers to succeed.

Though the team has only officially practiced since after fall break, many newcomers have been training informally since the first week of school.

"We definitely have more depth this year," Verigan said, a sentiment that was echoed by Penn coach Dave Micahnik.

Traditionally, Penn has been a powerful force in the Ivy League.

"We have not had a losing season in the modern era of women's fencing," said Micahnik, who noted that Penn fencers are frequently named All-Americans.

This year, though, the field is getting tougher, with women beginning training at earlier ages and recruiting becoming more competitive in the Ivy League. Yet, being an experienced squad, the Red and Blue may sport a competitive edge over some of their Ancient Eight foes.

Next Saturday, the Quakers will compete in another unofficial multi-meet at Penn State against Duke, UNC, Hunter and Ohio State.