Senior setter Jodie Antypas will face a tough foe in No. 8 UCLA. The Penn volleyball team earned a spot in its first-ever NCAA Tournament by defeating Brown in a playoff match. [Evelyn Kudelski/DP File Photo]

Shhh.

Don't tell the Penn volleyball team that it's facing national powerhouse UCLA in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Quakers don't seem to know yet, because they're not intimidated by the No. 8 seed in the 64-team field.

"They're going to be pretty tough," Penn freshman Ashley Lewis said. "But we're going to give them a run for their money, so they should be ready to play a really good game."

The UCLA Bruins finished the regular season ranked No. 14 in the national poll, but were bumped up six spots for NCAAs with the return of senior outside hitter Kristee Porter to the lineup.

On Oct. 19, the 2000 All-America selection was suspended by UCLA while it investigated the possibility that Porter had received "extra benefits."

But after sitting out 50 percent of the regular season, Porter will be eligible to compete for the Bruins when they face Penn (18-6 overall) tonight at 5 p.m. at Penn State's Rec Hall in State College, Pa.

The return of the 6-footer with the monstrous vertical to the UCLA (18-8) lineup will pose some problems for the Quakers.

"Kristee Porter hits over most college blocks, so we tried to portray that [in practice]," Penn coach Kerry Major said. "The only ones that can hit as high and hard over the block are our male [assistant] coaches, so we threw them out there.

"We're learning to dig up and around the block, which is what we'll be trying to do [tonight]."

The absence of Porter allowed two other high-flyers -- senior Ashley Bowles and junior Lauren Fendrick -- to step into the offensive spotlight at UCLA. These two outside hitters make up 46 percent of UCLA's offense, averaging 7.90 kills per game.

Directing the Bruins' offense will be senior setter Erika Selsor, who is ranked No. 12 in the nation in assists per game (13.51).

Penn's counterpart, senior setter Jodie Antypas, is looking forward to facing Selsor, an old rival from her formative years.

"I played against her in club, so that should be interesting," Antypas said. "I'm looking forward to seeing what's happened since the last time I saw her."

The Bruins are no slouches on defense, either. With at least two six-footers on the front line in every rotation, the Quakers will have a tough time finding their way past the UCLA block.

"They're taller and jump quite a bit higher," Penn sophomore right-side hitter Lauren Carter said. "But we're more laughing it off than we are scared, which is a good attitude to have."

Should Penn manage to beat the Bruins at the net, UCLA freshman defensive specialist Chrissie Zartman will be waiting in the backcourt for a dig.

The Quakers, of course, have their own talent in the backcourt and are ranked No. 3 in the nation in digs per game (20.90).

"Chrissie Zartman is pretty good, but she's a freshman too," Major said. "I have some senior defensive people who are pretty awesome themselves. Person for person, we're just as good defensively, if not better."

Penn also has the advantage of being largely unknown on a national level.

"They're probably looking right past us to Penn State [in the second round]," Major said. "We have nothing to lose and they have everything to lose."

That's especially true for UCLA coach Andy Banachowski, who is the winningest coach in collegiate women's volleyball history, with over 900 victories in 35 years at the helm of the Bruins program.

"I love playing teams that have good coaches because I can always learn something," Major said. "Andy's a great guy, and I have nothing but respect for him."

And the rest of the Quakers also have respect for -- and not fear of -- the Bruins.

"They should know that we're not going to go out there and roll over for them," Antypas said.

Intimidated? Doesn't seem like it.