Trying to resolve the competition among performing arts groups for coveted rehearsal and performance space, the Undergraduate Assembly last night endorsed the idea of transforming parts of the former Stouffer Dining Hall and Annenberg dance gallery.

The two short-term solutions were generated by the Performing Arts Council, who spoke at last night's meeting, sparking a heated debate among UA members.

Rising facilities costs and limited rehearsal and performance space have forced PAC to deny membership to two new performing arts groups this year, adding to the handful of groups rejected from PAC in the past several years. PAC also faces the possibility of restricting each member group to one performance a year.

PAC members said that Stouffer Down Under is a prime rehearsal space left unused.

The Annenberg dance gallery is currently rented to non-University performing arts groups that pay to use the space. But, according to PAC members, the space is unoccupied for 20 hours per week, which they say is ample time for Penn performing arts groups to take advantage of the dance gallery.

PAC stressed that using Stouffer Down Under and the Annenberg dance gallery will only temporarily solve the problem. The group has outlined long-term solutions in its "Report on Performance, Rehearsal and Technical Facilities at the University of Pennsylvania," which provides a more detailed list of potential rehearsal and performance spaces.

PAC groups together hold 64 performances a year, attracting total audiences of roughly 30,000. And 1,100 of the 9,700 undergraduates at Penn are members of performing arts groups.

"It's our job to advocate for student concerns and it's always been my vision that student groups would approach us throughout the year for us to help advocate their cause," said UA Chairwoman Dana Hork, a College senior. "This will not only help the students who are in student performance arts groups, but it will also help all those who attend the shows."

Last night members of the Student Activities Council, which funds many PAC member groups, expressed concern that if PAC obtained more space, the umbrella organization would accept more groups than SAC could fund. SAC currently could not fund any more performing arts groups than are in its existing budget.

Ryan Baber, a College senior and PAC administrative coordinator, stressed that while he does not believe new groups would be admitted, he could make no guarantee. Regardless, he said, groups would use Stouffer and Annenberg during the spring semester, only guaranteeing rehearsal and performance space to current PAC members.

PAC's request seemed fair and a "no-brainer" to some of the UA members, prompting them to ask why the University would be opposed to allowing performing arts groups to use Stouffer.

Baber told the UA he received a positive response from Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum, who voiced no objections when Baber suggested he approach the UA.

"The next step is to talk to the people at Stouffer Down Under," Baber said. "They were leaning toward allowing us to use it already for next semester and the UA proposal will hopefully solidify that."

As for Annenberg, Baber hopes the UA's political pressure will prove that the issues impact the entire student body and increase Annenberg's cooperation with students.

"I view our proposal as that additional push that will help PAC accomplish its goals," Hork said.

Last night was one of the UA's most productive meetings of the year, with five proposals coming out of the three-hour deliberations.

Despite some slowdowns because of the intricacies of parliamentary procedure, the UA voted to form a committee with the Graduate and Professional Students Assembly to research graduate student unionization as a group of students push to establish a union of Penn's own graduate students. Three UA members will sit on the committee and report back to the general body.

Also at last night's meeting, in response to numerous student complaints about the recent restructuring of student dining plans, the UA passed a proposal urging all students to e-mail the UA with suggestions on how to restructure meal plans. UA members said that they will pass the suggestions to the administration.

They also passed a proposal to fund one bus, costing $165, to transport 40 undergraduates downtown for First Friday, a cultural event where art galleries open their doors for free. The UA hopes Tangible Change and the Social Planning and Events Committee will help fund two additional buses.