Sleep, not action To the Editor:

Imagine that a large building catches fire in downtown Philadelphia. Instead of fighting the fire, the firemen that respond decide to protest the fire. They all make signs and camp outside the building. A few of them even set up a collection bin for fire victims. When the firemen wake up the next morning, there is a surprising result.

The building has burned down. Their protesting has accomplished nothing.

Seems like a bad way to go about things?

Well, not to everybody.

The students who camped outside the library to protest United States military action in Afghanistan, like the firemen above, found a great way to accomplish nothing.

They apparently had the same idea as the firemen. All they had to do was make signs and sleep and the problem would go away. But their time would have been much better spent if they had actually done something productive. Perhaps they could have set out to organize a formal debate on campus.

It also bothers me that they only offered one-sided arguments on their posters. As I walked by the posters, every one I read was filled with wonderful anti-war cliches. They had no poster to answer a very important question: What happens if the U.S. does pull out, as they want?

So far, the Taliban has given every indication that they will not stop supporting terrorist activities, and that's a large problem.

I did see posters illustrating concern for civilians, a problem meriting much concern. Unfortunately, sitting on the grass in Philadelphia doesn't help anybody.

I do respect the viewpoint of those protesting, though, and think it's wonderful they are devoted to their cause enough to camp outside the library in the cold for it. But that does not mean they are doing anything useful. Their time would be much better spent if they were to go out and do something productive for their cause. In the end, whether I sleep inside or outside, all I'm doing is sleeping.

Marc Tarlock

College and Engineering '04

Watch your words To the Editor:

In Friday's cover story ("Islam Awareness Week sees rise in participation, The Daily Pennsylvanian, 11/9/01) the wordÿjihad is equated with "holy war."

The lecture on jihadÿto which this article refers should have made it clear to all in attendance that jihad and holy war are quite distinguishable concepts. In Islam, the concept of jihadÿpertains to the ideaÿof struggle -- a struggle that can range from controlling one'sÿselfish desires to engaging in military conflict. However, in Islam, a war may only be waged if it is a just war.

To label jihad as "holy war" undermines this fundamental idea. We appreciate the interest shown by the DP and the Penn community in our Islam Awareness Week, and hope such errors will be avoided in the future.

Wan Sayuti Wan Hussin

College and Engineering '02

The writer is president of the Muslim Students' Association.