The University's movie theater project at 40th and Walnut streets is progressing steadily, with the exterior facade of the building nearing completion.

But officials have yet to nail down an opening date, still months away.

The construction site, which was quiet earlier this year while Penn searched for a partner in the project, has been fairly busy in recent months after the University announced a verbal agreement with media giant National Amusements.

National Amusements has not yet signed a formal contract with the University because the company is still formulating a plan for the design of the theater.

"The plans for the outside are being held to," said Penn Executive Vice President John Fry, explaining that the University is getting ready to close the construction project for the winter. "We're not changing the exterior treatment."

Fry said he is confident that Penn will "be able to pull through with" the Dedham, Mass.-based theater chain.

The University's prior operator for the theater, Robert Redford's Sundance Cinemas, pulled out of the deal last year after its financial backer, General Cinemas, filed for bankruptcy.

"We've reached a very good understanding of terms," Fry said, adding that a final agreement with National Amusements is expected soon. "We're waiting for their plans for the interior, which will help us close the deal."

The theater, which will be run by National Amusement subsidiary Cinebridge, is expected to be modeled after a theater in Los Angeles called The Bridge.

Penn's theater is expected to be designed by acclaimed architect Dayna Lee, whose California firm, Powerstrip, designed the Los Angeles theater.

The Bridge, which opened over the summer, is Cinebridge's first theater venture and is described by the company as a "new-style entertainment concept."

The theater offers concierge service, a cocktail lounge, restaurant and luxury seating.

For those moviegoers who choose the "Director's Hall" seating, a preassigned 25-inch-wide seat is waiting.

While he would not discuss specifics, Fry said the plans for Penn's theater interior "are very exciting."

"Both design teams have put their heads together," Fry said.

National Amusements spokeswoman Jennifer Hanson would not speculate on what the plans will entail or when they will be sent to Penn, only saying "the plans should be finalized in the near future."

According to Fry, the University needs to determine a final cost of the theater project and will "negotiate from that."

While the theater here will most likely stray from the traditional movie theater style, industry analyst Gary Meyer said a price tag of $1 million per screen would be an accurate ballpark figure.

"It doesn't depend on whether the theater goes more art or commercial," said Meyer, a theater consultant. "Quality seats, sound system and all the amenities you're going to put into it all factor into the cost."

Current plans for the theater at Penn call for six screens plus a basement theater.

Meyer, who used to work for Sundance Cinemas, is quite familiar with the property at 40th and Walnut.

Sundance was originally to construct a theater featuring independent films, a restaurant, an outdoor cafe, gardens and classroom space.

National Amusements is expected to feature more mainstream fare -- something that has generated some flak for the project -- but according to Meyer, will probably serve the University community adequately.

"Students in the last 10 years have not been particularly strong moviegoers at arthouses," said Meyer the founder of the independent theater chain Landmark. "They go to the general popular films."

"For purposes of providing programming to people who live in University neighborhoods, it might be a good decision to go where they're going," Meyer said.