Penn sophomore Lauren Carter helped the Quakers stick it to Villanova last Friday at the Jake Nevin Field House [Evelyn Kudelski/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

VILLANOVA, Pa. -- Never underestimate the value of having a deep bench and flexibility on offense.

Both qualities helped the Penn volleyball team win a pivotal game one en route to its straight-set victory last Friday over Villanova, 30-26, 30-24, 30-16.

"We came in knowing that they had improved [from last year]," Penn sophomore Lauren Carter said. "We knew it was going to be tougher, and we had to stay on top of them right away, which I think we did well."

The Quakers (6-3) were up 23-19 in the opening game when Villanova coach Allison Keeley called a timeout.

The break in action created an immediate shift in momentum as the Wildcats (4-7) closed to within one of the Quakers at 25-24, to the delight of nearly 400 screaming fans and a noisy band at Jake Nevin Field House.

"We couldn't stop No. 15 on the other team," Penn coach Kerry Major said of Villanova junior outside hitter Leah Mathews, who had a match-high 12 kills and hit .310.

It was at this point that Major made a very important strategic maneuver, replacing senior setter Jodie Antypas with junior right-side hitter Stacey Carter on the front line, thus making sophomore Meghan Schloat in the backcourt the new setter.

Because the Quakers are two players deep at the setter position, the substitution gave Penn another hitting option on the front line and a stronger blocker at the net.

The switch proved effective, as the Quakers were able to sideout immediately and run the score to 29-24 before eventually closing out game one, 30-26.

"I thought we defended them fairly well, but they were very creative in their offense," Keeley said. "They changed things up and... were very aggressive."

Villanova struggled in the ensuing game, as its passers were unable to get the ball to the setter spot. This problem flattened the Wildcats' morale on the court.

Villanova was further discouraged in the second game when Penn senior middle hitter Kelly Szczerba caught Villanova junior Yvonne Pierpont off-guard and packed her in the face on a quick hit for 26-17.

After dropping the second game, 30-24, the Wildcats continued to hurt themselves as they were called for a number of double contact violations.

Poor passing also limited Villanova sophomore setter Jennifer Edwards' options, forcing her to telegraph her sets and giving Penn's blockers an advantage at the net.

"I think we shot ourselves in the foot," Keeley said.

The Wildcats hit a dismal .085 as a team, with only two players notching a hitting percentage higher than .050.

"Their hitters were approaching right into the hole," Penn sophomore Katie Brandt said. "So I just got low, and they hit it right at me."

The Quakers had some hitting problems as well, though. Facing a Villanova squad with six players at six feet or taller, Penn hit into a lot of soft blocks and struggled at times to put the ball down.

"What Allison has done for that team is incredible," Major said. "We had to play our best, and I was never thinking that we had it in the bag the whole time. To their credit, they reacted well to balls that I thought should have been down."

The Quakers finished their non-conference season with a five-match winning streak and look to take that momentum into their Ivy League season, which begins on Friday.