In light of recent anthrax cases in Florida, New York and Washington, the University has increased security measures in its own mailrooms.

According to Vice President for Business Services Lee Nunery, Penn's Mail Service has been in constant contact with the Division of Public Safety "to make sure our normal procedures are up to par."

Penn is "working with the U.S. Postal Service on an ongoing basis, but particularly now," he added, describing the current situation as "business as usual with a heightened sense of awareness."

While Mail Service Night Supervisor Damone Clayter said he was not aware of any suspicious packages found at Penn, he said that the mailroom staff is being extra cautious as a result of recent events.

Mailroom staff members have been trained regarding the proper procedure to follow in case a suspicious package is detected. And yesterday, an additional instructional video was received from the U.S. Postal Service.

While the video included information regarding the detection of letter bombs, no information about anthrax was on the tape.

"Right now, what we're doing is instituting a lot more security measures for the protection of the Penn community as well as mail service employees," Clayter said.

"We're going to monitor packages more closely than we've ever done so before," he added.

And Clayton suspects that more safety procedures will be implemented in the near future.

"As time goes on we will be instituting more safety procedures," he said, noting that mail services will be working with the University's Environmental Health and Radiation Committee and will be receiving additional materials from the U.S. Postal Service.

But Clayter stressed that members of the University community should not be concerned.

"We just don't want anybody to worry unnecessarily," he said.

Clayton further said that if a suspicious package is detected, employees are instructed not to move the item and call Penn Police, the U.S. Postal Services and local authorities "immediately."

Clayton noted that students should follow a similar procedure if they notice a suspicious-looking item.

"Leave the package, do not attempt to open or move it," he said. "Immediately call Penn Police, local police and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service."

Nunery suggested that students and staff view Public Safety's Web site "if people have an issue with a package, that way people can get a consistent story."

And according to Luis Hernandez, an assistant service attendant at McClelland's package room in the Quadrangle, students are those most able to detect suspicious parcels.

"There's so many packages, it's hard to tell," the College and Wharton sophomore said. "Students would know better, they would know if something looks suspicious."

Some students have said that the recent events have added an element of concern to the otherwise mundane chore of picking up a package.

"I'm checking the return addresses," College freshman Alexis Lyons said while picking up a package.

And other students said that they feel relatively safe despite recent reports.

"I don't think they're really targeting college students, more so high-position people," College freshman Matt Knopman said. "There's always a concern, but not as much here [as] where I live in New York."