Penn became the nation's largest purchaser of wind-produced energy yesterday when officials signed a letter of intent to purchase enough environmentally-friendly energy to meet 5 percent of the University's total energy needs.

The signing took place at the unveiling of a new wind farm in Somerset County, home of the large windmills that will be used to generate some of the University's energy. University officials, as well as members of the Penn Environmental Group, were present at the event.

Wind energy utilizes the non-polluting and renewable resource to generate power, as opposed to relying on the more traditional fossil fuels which adversely affect the environment.

"I think it's good and exciting," said Mike Coleman, director of campus maintenance services and facilities services. "It's good for the University and it's good for the environment. There are no losers in that one."

The University agreed to purchase 20 million kilowatt hours of wind energy annually -- 5 percent of the energy used at Penn each year.

This significant purchase will prevent 29,640,00 pounds of carbon dioxide, a compound that leads to global warming, from entering the Earth's atmosphere. That is equivalent to taking more than 2,593 cars off of the road.

Within the last year, Penn officials have been looking into different options to increase energy conservation at the University. The Penn Environmental Group has been influential in this process, meeting with facilities representatives on a regular basis to discuss options for making the University more environmentally friendly.

These efforts reached fruition when the idea to purchase wind energy presented itself. Members of the group made contact with a representative from Community Energy, the company producing wind energy, at an environmental conference last year. The company then made a presentation at Penn and the University agreed to jump on board with the project.

According to Emily Quesada, the Penn Environmental Group's co-chairwoman, interaction with facilities officials has been nothing but positive.

"We're just thrilled," the College junior said. "It's been a wonderful process because we've been able to work with facilities instead of fight them."

Pennsylvania State University, Philadelphia Suburban Water, Carnegie Mellon University and Giant Eagle Corp., have also signed on to purchase wind energy.

While Coleman did not know specifically when the University will begin to use the new wind energy, he said that it "should be in the near future."

Coleman also noted that there is a price premium that comes with using wind energy, but he declined to comment on the specific costs.

College junior Sharon Hsu was one of four Penn Environmental Group members who attended yesterday's ceremony. For her, the event marked the importance of the University's involvement in supporting wind energy.

"I'm really excited that Penn has decided to purchase wind energy and take leadership in moving our nation and the world to a more sustainable future," she said.

Quesada was equally happy with yesterday's outcome.

"It seems like I'm in some kind of dream," she said. "That Penn is the best in the country, it's incredible."