Safety Kunle Williams is part of a Penn secondary unit that contained a potent Brown offense on Saturday. [Jenny Winston/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- With a quick glance at the statistics from Saturday's game, one might think that the Brown passing attack tore apart Penn's defense.

Three hundred and twelve yards in the air, one touchdown reception. Two Bears players with over 100 yards receiving. Two pass interference penalties called on the Quakers.

But those statistics don't tell the full story.

With Brown passing on more than two-thirds of its plays, those numbers put up by the Bears don't seem that incredible.

And the Quakers were able to keep the powerful Bears offense -- the Ivy League's best, averaging 36.4 points and 484.6 yards per game coming into Saturday's contest -- out of the end zone for most of the game.

"I wish we could take all the credit up front," Penn defensive tackle John Galan said. "When it came down to making some plays, our [defensive backs] made some plays."

The Quakers defense also held Bears star wideout Chas Gessner -- who had been averaging a national-best 10.8 catches and 161.8 yards per game -- to six receptions for 109 yards.

"I think defensively we did a real nice recovery after [Brown's] first drive," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said. "We made some plays, really trying to set the tide against a very talented Brown offense."

Two of the biggest plays the Quakers defense made were interceptions. After Penn grabbed a 14-7 lead late in the first half, Brown moved to near midfield when quarterback Kyle Rowley's pass was tipped, and then picked off by Chris Pennington.

The second interception was even more crucial to the Red and Blue's victory. With the Bears attempting a comeback late in the fourth quarter, Rowley attempted a long pass to Gessner. Safety Kunle Williams stepped in front of Brown's wideout to intercept the pass and secure a Quakers victory.

The Penn secondary also forced a critical fumble late in the second half. After a nine-yard pass from Rowley to David Brookman, Penn safety D.L. Bouldrick knocked the ball loose, and fellow defensive back Scott Williams recovered.

"We didn't shut them down," Penn cornerback Vince Alexander said. "But I think we made plays when we needed to make plays."

Brown's receivers hauled in 27 receptions, but were only able to get into the end zone once, a one-yard pass from Rowley to Gessner.

"That's a credit to the D-backs," Galan said. "I can't even begin to explain how good they played today."