Despite nine saves, Penn goalkeeper Carrie Wilhelm could not contain the Nittany Lions offensive attack, giving up five goals. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

Despite scoring its first goal against the Nittany Lions since 1995, the Penn field hockey team could not hold off No. 13 Penn State last night, losing 5-1 at Bigler Field.

The score, however, betrays the outstanding first half put forth by the Quakers.

The match was reasonably even in the first period, as the Red and Blue (5-9) were only outshot 4-3 and both teams had four penalty corners.

At halftime, the Quakers only trailed 1-0. Penn State captain Kiley Kulina tallied an unassisted goal at the 13:35 mark, when she stole the ball from a Penn midfielder and worked it into the circle before scoring.

But the Quakers would not go away quietly.

They came out ready to play at the start of the second half, as freshman Liz Lorelli tied it up by taking advantage of a scramble in front of the net and putting a shot by Nittany Lions goalie Annie Zinkarich.

After Lorelli's goal -- her fourth of the season -- things went downhill for the Quakers. Penn was outshot, 15-4, in the second period, and had only two penalty corners compared to Penn State's seven.

The game remained tied until Penn State's sophomore Neilye Stoner broke through with an unassisted goal seven minutes later.

Stoner's goal would prove to be the game-winner, as the Quakers were held scoreless for the rest of the game.

But before the end, Penn State senior Kelly Cocini managed to control two rebounded balls to score back-to-back goals just eight minutes apart.

Junior Timarie Legel put the cherry on top for the Nittany Lions when she took a pass from senior Meredith Shulzitski and put the ball past Quaker goalie Carrie Wilhelm, who had nine saves on the night.

The win marked Penn's 12th straight loss to Penn State (11-3 ). The Nittany Lions have outscored the Quakers, 47-4, during that streak.

The win was also Penn State's seventh straight this season.

The Quakers remain winless on the road through six games. Penn will have to learn to win on the road, however, if it is to continue to succeed in the Ivy League. The Quakers (3-1 in the Ivies) will head to Brown this Saturday.