THE PHILADELPHIA EXPERIMENT S/t

What happens when three talented musicians from different musical backgrounds convene in a studio for three days of extensive jamming and recording? Out comes The Philadelphia Experiment, the tantalizing jazz debut from the trio featuring hip hop drumming guru Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson (of the Roots), acoustic bassist Christian McBride and classical and avant garde jazz pianist Uri Caine (a Penn grad). While the trio has had experience in the past playing together (?uestlove and McBride were classmates at Philadelphia's High School for the Creative and Performing Arts), their energy and spontaneity shine through in this dynamic record.

Backed by friends including guitarist Pat Martino and trumpeter John Swana, the three show listeners that they had fun recording this LP. From the start, ?uestlove's trademark staccato rimshot percussion provides direction. While rehashing several works by other artists, including Marvin Gaye and Elton John, the most successful cover is dedicated to the late Philly jazz legend Grover Washington Jr., aptly titled "Grover." "Ain't it the truth" may be the most enticing track, as its smooth funk (and stellar performances by Caine and McBride) rides out into an up-tempo climactic ending.

While there are other standouts, like the frenetic "Miles Hit," Experiment has its weak spots, as the arrangement sometimes sounds complacent and disjointed. While the LP does have a creative impromptu quality, some sounds do not fit together; if the recording had been more structured, tracks like "Lesson # 4" and "(Re) Moved," would have worked better. But given the spur-of-the-moment nature of this work, that most of the project flows so well is a testament to the skill of the musicians involved.