Penn junior Alex Maasry got only his second taste of Ivy League victory in his three-year-career on Saturday, when the Quakers topped Cornell in double overtime. [Todd Savitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Experience was not the deciding factor this weekend in the Penn men's soccer team's victory over Cornell.

Instead, the Quakers (4-2-1 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) clinched the win with the help of their new members.

After 107 minutes of scoreless play in a back-and-forth contest on Saturday afternoon at Rhodes Field, the Quakers stole the victory thanks to their rookies.

Two minutes into the second overtime period, Penn freshman Joe Klein dribbled the ball down the left side of the 18-yard box and drilled a shot at Cornell's goal. Big Red keeper Doug Allen leapt out and blocked the shot, but was unable to hold on to the ball.

Allen quickly paid for his failed attempt, as Penn freshman Chris Fisher was there for the follow, nailing the rebound into the back of the net. The goal gave Penn the sudden-death victory in its first Ivy League game of the season and sent the team into an excited frenzy.

"I was really happy," Fisher said. "I think everyone came out to play."

Fisher's score came as a relief after both Penn and Cornell failed to net a goal despite a plethora of shots from both sides.

The Quakers finished the game with 19 shots, 13 of which were on-goal. Cornell ended up with 11 shots, only five of which Penn keeper Matt Haefner had to save.

The first 15-minute period of overtime play proved to be much like the previous 90 minutes. Penn forwards Sam Chamovitz, Evan Anderson and Joe Klein nailed shot after shot at the Cornell net.

"It was a little frustrating," said Anderson, a senior tri-captain. "We were playing well and having a hard time finishing our chances. But at no point did we ever lose faith that we would win."

Although the offense stole the glory of the victory in the end, Penn's solid, consistent defense kept the Quakers in the game throughout.

"The second half was certainly not one of our better halves," Penn coach Rudy Fuller said. "But we held on. We defended well. Our defense deserves a lot of credit."

Even though this is a big win for the Quakers, the team isn't getting too far ahead of itself. This is only the first of seven Ivy League games.

"All eight teams in the Ivy League are tightly bunched," Fuller said. "Every Ivy League game is going to be a one-goal, difficult battle."

The Red and Blue are still getting used to the idea of winning in conference play. Last Nov. 11, the Quakers broke a 26-game losing streak in the Ivy League, beating Harvard 2-1.

Saturday's win over Cornell marked Penn's second win in the Ancient Eight since 1997.

The new blood on the Quakers squad is responsible for much of this recent success.

In addition to the late-game heroics of Klein and Fisher, freshman Stephen Kroculick dominated the midfield against the Big Red the entire game, creating many of Penn's scoring opportunities.

And Brian Candler, also in his first year at Penn, controlled the backfield and steadily defended Penn's net.

"Its just nice to have a team you can count on," Chamovitz said. "Personally, this was not my best day. But then you have players that can step up."

Penn knows, however, that Saturday's win is just the first step in the Ivy season.

"It wasn't an upset in our minds, even though it may have been in the rest of the Ivy League," Penn tri-captain John Salvucci said. "We don't doubt ourselves."