The Wharton Graduate Association has spent the past week collecting donations to create a memorial for Wharton alumni who lost their lives in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Although exact numbers are not yet known, the Wharton community -- with many connections to New York's financial district -- has been deeply affected by the attacks, Wharton Graduate Association President Khadir Richie said.

The association plans to erect a memorial that will eventually stand in Huntsman Hall, which is currently under construction. In the meantime, the group plans to put the memorial in the Lehman Quadrangle in front of Vance Hall at 38th and Spruce streets.

"We just wanted to emphasize the fact that when people graduate from Wharton, they're still very much a part of this family," Richie said. "If you lose a family member you're going to memorialize them in some way and acknowledge them as family members."

Richie said that the association is still in the process of coordinating efforts with other alumni groups to create the memorial. He did not know the exact amount, but estimated that more than $1,200 had already been contributed.

Exact plans are not yet in place for what the memorial will look like, but the association would like to create a meaningful tribute to those who lost their lives.

"We really want to make this a significant part of Huntsman Hall," Richie said. "We don't want to have something that people will forget about -- we want people to remember this. This has been a tragic moment in history."

Any money left over from the memorial will be donated to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, and the Wharton Fund in the names of those alumni.

Those wishing to make a contribution may do so at a table stationed in the Sun Lounge in Vance Hall, or in the Student Activities Office in 216 Vance.