Iowa State defender Tiffany Belz looks on in vain as Quakers' freshman Katy Cross streaks toward the goal. [Will Burhop/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Penn women's soccer team opened its season this weekend with little indication of growing pains.

Penn's youth -- namely freshmen Katy Cross, Rachelle Snyder and Devon Sibole -- proved to be the Quakers' biggest asset.

The Red and Blue secured two victories at Rhodes Field, blanking Iowa State, 2-0, on Friday before coming from behind to beat Delaware, 6-4, yesterday.

The Red and Blue freshmen lit up the scoreboard this weekend, as they torched the Cyclones and Fighting Blue Hens for each of Penn's eight goals.

Cross scored three goals last weekend, including both of Penn's tallies on Friday and the game-winner yesterday. Snyder exploded for four goals against Delaware, setting the Penn record for most goals in a single game while helping the Quakers come away on top. Sibole was also a key contributor this weekend, as she assisted on two goals and notched one of her own.

"It was a great way to set the tone for the season," Penn senior tri-captain Sarah Campbell said.

It was evident as soon as the Red and Blue set foot on Rhodes Field Friday that the freshmen would be baptized by fire, as coach Darren Ambrose started six newcomers against Iowa State. On a team that has the experience of only four upperclassmen -- including injury-riddled Campbell, who was forced to the sideline for much of the weekend due to an ailing achilles tendon -- it was critical that Penn's youngsters grow up quickly.

The freshmen rose to the challenge immediately when, just over 20 minutes into the game, Sibole lofted a perfect pass over the defense to the streaking Cross who easily slipped the ball by Iowa State goalie Karen Hasselman. Cross' effortless footwork, deceptive moves and knack for finding the open shot were on showcase against the Cyclones. She would later add an insurance goal in the game's waning minutes.

"I was pretty confident and wanted it enough to make it happen," Cross said, in reference to her two goals in the season-opener.

Still, this victory was clearly a team effort, as Iowa State's attack was stymied by the defensive alignment that Ambrose implemented. The Cyclones' only registered six shots on goal for the game.

"We are defending with six players and attacking with four," Ambrose said. "Our key in attacking is defending."

Penn had a more difficult time overcoming the Blue Hens, who handed the Quakers a 2-0 loss when the two teams met for Penn's season-opener last year.

Like they did on Friday, the Red and Blue came out strong against Delware, with Snyder notching her first of four goals just 14 ticks into the game. Penn would fall back down to Earth, though, as a 3-1 lead was turned into a 4-3 deficit at halftime.

The Quakers' showed true signs of maturity in the second half, as their defense closed the flood gates and the freshmen continued to shine.

Snyder netted two more goals in the final 45 minutes, while Cross clinched the victory with her second game-winner of the season.

Also, sophomore Vanessa Scotto replaced freshman Anna Halse-Stumberg in goal and proceeded to make three saves to help preserve the victory.

"As for us growing up, we showed a lot of maturity to come from behind," Ambrose said. "This team is not going to give up. We have a lot of fire."

With two big wins over respectable non-conference opponents, the Quakers made it clear last weekend that this season is much more than a rebuilding campaign.