Rachelle Snyder made Penn history yesterday.

In only her second collegiate game.

The freshman scored four goals against a helpless Delaware defense and, if not for a couple of breakaway saves from the Blue Hen's goalie, the total could have even been higher.

So what does Snyder think of her offensive explosion, the most goals of any Penn women's soccer player in a single game?

"Well, I was actually trying to cross the ball on two of [the goals]."

Pretty modest for someone who is on pace to score 36 goals this season and break every Penn women's soccer scoring record in existence.

What's even more astounding is the fact that Snyder's freshman teammates on the front line, Katy Cross and Devon Sibole, have also gone on a scoring binge in their first couple of collegiate games.

Cross, using precise ball handling techniques and quickness around the ball, carried the Quakers to victory in Friday's 2-0 victory over Iowa State, netting both of Penn's goals.

Two days later, Sibole tallied a goal and an assist, the latter a beautiful header to Cross, who shot a bouncing ball into the upper-right hand corner of the goal.

Synder, an extremely quick and aggressive player, took care of the rest that game, scoring four goals -- two of which were from near-impossible angles.

In total, the freshman forward trio of Cross, Sibole and Snyder scored all eight of Penn's goals, while showing beautiful chemistry and cohesion around the goal.

"We work together really well," Cross said. "Age doesn't make a difference. We've had two weeks together."

The weight of the team has certainly been thrust upon the freshmen's shoulders this year, and they are handling it beautifully. Penn coach Darren Ambrose started eight freshmen in yesterday's contest.

For a good portion of the first half, the youth and inexperience showed, as Penn gave up a two-goal lead to fall behind, 4-3, at the half. But the Quakers played a near-flawless second half and scored the tying goal and game-winner within a minute of each other to send the Blue Hens back to Delaware without a win.

Acting like seasoned veterans, Penn's newcomers have more than filled the void left by last year's seniors and have left their coach and teammates in awe.

"They're awesome," said senior tri-captain Sarah Campbell, who saw limited action this weekend due to a strained achilles.

"The freshmen have stepped it up so much," sophomore goalie Vanessa Scotto said.

"They're incredibly dynamic, incredibly explosive," Ambrose said. "And they're efficient in front of the goal. They only need half a chance.

While the forward trio received much of the praise, the rest of Penn's rookies also played vital roles.

Jessica Woodward, Rebecca Weber and Amy Salomon contributed on the defensive end, and Lauren Bome helped to control the pace of the game from the center midfield spot.

Freshman goalkeeper Anna Halse-Stumberg shut out the Hawkeyes on Friday, but had a bit of trouble against Delaware, giving up four goals in the first half before getting pulled.

Going into the season, it was thought that youth and inexperience were going to be a problem.

Turns out it's a plus.