The cataclysmic events of Tuesday morning have penetrated every corner of our nation.

From Wall Street to Hollywood Boulevard, the United States has collectively grieved as landmarks displaying our nation's military and financial superiority have crumbled, with innumerable American lives lost in their wake.

In remembrance and out of respect for the victims of this tragedy, the world of sports is on hiatus as well.

The University has announced that all scheduled athletic contests are canceled through the weekend.

As a result, the Penn men's soccer team, scheduled to compete in the STIHL Classic at Old Dominion University this weekend, will not make the trek to Norfolk, Va.

Syracuse and the College of Charleston -- Penn's slated competitors in the round-robin tournament -- also have withdrawn from the tournament.

The College of Charleston pulled out early yesterday afternoon when the university announced that there would be no sporting events until Sunday.

Then, last night, Penn followed up with a similar declaration of its own.

Prior to Penn's pulling out of the STIHL Classic, the emotional trauma at practice on Wednesday seemingly sabotaged the Quakers' regular routine.

Lacking the normal intensity and fervor of Red and Blue practice sessions, the team seemed disjointed and detached.

"I think I can say that it was probably the worst practice of the year," senior captain John Salvucci said after Wednesday's practice session. "I think everyone's head was somewhere else, rightfully so. We just have to keep focused, as hard as that is."

Yesterday, the Quakers once again returned to the practice field, gearing up to compete before they learned that all weekend matches had been canceled.