About 30 Harrison College House residents gathered last night for a discussion about man's best friend.

Professor Karen Overall, who performed her undergraduate and graduate work at Penn -- earning a degree from the School of Veterinary Medicine in 1983 -- addressed animal psychiatric illness at the college house event.

After last week's terrorist attacks, the house held the talk as a diversion for students -- a way to bring some sort of levity back to their lives. Most of the Harrison residents who attended said they came for the conversation and a good time.

The evening began with a lecture in which Overall addressed a number of canine illnesses and behavioral characteristics. She explained how doctors observe abnormal dogs to maintain the health of normal ones.

"By looking at images of neuroscience we can find out what causes behavior," she said, adding, "Purebred dogs are walking laboratories."

Overall frequently treats dogs suffering psychiatric behavior problems -- including fear of loud noises, violent behavior toward other dogs and those who constantly run around in circles or chew off their tails. Once she figures out what is behind a dog's condition, Overall works with them towards a cure, which often results in a success story.

One such story regarded a dog that constantly lifted his front paws up and down while simultaneously barking at them until he was completely exhausted. Overall diagnosed him as obsessive-compulsive and treated him accordingly.

After dinner arrived, a question-answer period began. Overall replied to questions regarding "puppy mills," where dogs are killed in a furnace, and questions about abusive owners.

The residents seemed particularly interested in Overall's own dog, Flash. Abused by previous owners to the brink of euthenization, Flash put three people into intensive care. Now, after rehabilitation, he is tame and friendly

Overall's stories made an impression on the Harrison residents who attended.

"I didn't realize how much of an emotional and informative connection humans have with animals and how much we can learn from them," Wharton junior Brad Baltz said.

Overall is one of only 26 other people in the world who holds the title of Diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, the highest medical degree one can receive in veterinary medicine.