The Pew Charitable Trusts has awarded $7.8 million to 15 of Philadelphia's cultural landmarks, with two of the prizes being claimed by Penn institutions.

The University Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology received $615,000, while the Morris Arboretum received $315,000.

Paul Meyer, the F. Otto Haas Director of the Arboretum, said he was delighted to have received the funding for a second time.

"This is the second time we've gotten this grant," Meyer said, noting that in 1998 the Arboretum received $300,000 for a time period of three years.

The Arboretum was officially notified of the award last Wednesday, but Meyer said they "had an inkling it was coming our way."

However, he was particularly pleased with the renewal because of the increase in amount.

"[Pew Charitable Trust] was generally not giving out increases this year," Meyer said, referring to other institution that received renewals for their grants. "But we've done so well, and improved so much that they wanted to send us a positive message."

"Of course, we were thrilled with that," Meyer added.

Pew is one of the largest philanthropic organizations in the country, dispensing nearly $236 million of funding in 2000. Neither the Pew Charitable Trust nor the University Museum were able to comment on the grants.

The annual three-year grants are given to cultural organizations as part of the Philadelphia Cultural Leadership program. In order to qualify, an organization must be debt-free as well as show cultural promise.

"It's kind of like the Good Housekeeping seal of approval for an organization that is well-run and well-managed with an eye towards fiscal controls and fiscal stability," Meyer said.

The funds go to general operating expenses incurred by an institution.

"We're thrilled because the most difficult funds for any director of a cultural institution to raise are operating dollars. Because this grant supports our general operations, this is a grant that's really received with open arms," he said.

Meyer felt Pew was not only impressed with their general operations.

"The award is also in terms of our mission and what we do, and how many people visit," Meyer said.

He noted that the Arboretum's attendance has nearly doubled in the last year -- from about 40,000 to 80,000 people. Memberships have also nearly doubled, going from 3,600 members to almost 6,000.

Other improvements include educational programs for children to learn about urban ecology, educational programs for adults and the Arboretum's refurbished masterpiece -- the rose gardens.

"The rose garden is just one area where we've really been focusing a lot of efforts," Meyer said. "We're just finishing up a three-year renovation for the rose gardens. There's tremendous improvement."

The largest grant given out this year went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which received $2.4 million. The smallest -- $45,000 -- went to the Print Center, located in Center City. Other city locations to receive grants include the Clay Studio in Old City, the Fabric Institute, the Franklin Institute and the Brandywine Conservancy located in Chester County.

The common thread among this year's recipients is that each institution is devoted in some way to creating both art and an environment in which the arts can thrive.

Last year the University Trustees accepted an $8.5 million interest-free loan from Pew to support genomics programs, the Fountaine Minority Fellowship Program and several other community outreach intitiatives.