A new sorority is expected to hit campus next year, bringing the campus total to eight. The Sigma Kappa sorority has been waiting for more than a decade to become a part of Penn's Greek system, according to Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Associate Director for Programming Debra Bonaminio. Last week, the Panhellenic Council voted to bring the new chapter to the University and officially invited the organization. However, the group has not yet officially accepted. But Sigma Kappa Director of Expansion Jen Hohman said she expects the offer will be taken. "We've been really courting the University for a long time," she said. "It's just a prestigious, great campus." According to Panhel President Kristen Buppert, the decision to vote on expansion is one that is traditionally brought before the Panhel Executive Board on an annual basis. This year, the board decided to bring the issue to all the sorority chapters for a vote. Partly due to the increase in chapter membership in recent years, the chapters voted with the necessary two-thirds majority to invite Kappa Sigma to Penn to help diffuse chapter membership. As part of an expansion plan initiated in 1987, three national sororities were selected to colonize at Penn. In 1990, the Alpha Chi Omega sorority came to campus and in 1993, the Pi Beta Phi sorority made its first appearance, though Pi Phi chose not to return to campus last semester. But now, it's Sigma Kappa's turn. "Basically, Sigma Kappa has been patiently waiting for 14 years to colonize at Penn," Bonaminio said. "They've waited because they want to be here." The wait was to ensure that the timing was right for the addition. With seven sororities on campus, all above the chapter total for membership, Bonaminio said that sorority interest is now at a peak. "You don't want to bring a chapter on when no one's interested," she said. Representatives from the sorority will be on campus in the fall to start marketing their chapter. The organization will host open houses in order to share their goals with potential members. But Sigma Kappa will not be allowed to accept new members until the next round of spring rush in February 2002, which is standard procedure for all new sororities, according to Bonaminio. Hohman said that the winter will mark the beginning of the chapter's colonization period, a trial period during which new members will learn the ropes of the organization. Colonization will last between 10 to 12 weeks and culminate with an official chapter. "We're very lucky to have them be the next sorority on campus," Bonaminio said. While some may fear that a new sorority will negatively affect existing chapters, Bonaminio said she does not anticipate that happening. On the contrary, the addition of "something new" may give women otherwise uninterested in going Greek a reason to join a sorority. "I think we're going to see more women interested in being Greek," she said. "And that benefits everybody." According to Hohman, Sigma Kappa will give interested women the opportunity to form their own chapter traditions with the guidance of "a very strong national organization." And new members will have the opportunity for leadership roles right off the bat. Hohman said that everyone's excited about the addition. "Our alumni are just jumping up and down," she said. And that excitement can be felt at Penn as well. "The excitement that a new chapter can generate makes the other chapters excited too," she added.