As you enter one of the large dressing rooms backstage in Irvine Auditorium, you can almost sense the tension. It's just moments before the annual Penn Relays step show and performers are making last-minute preparations before the main event. Some are perfecting steps, some are meandering through the maze of tables and chairs and some are chatting. "I mean, I've got some pre-show jitters," explained Alpha Phi Alpha brother Weldon McMillan while resting in a chair. "But I'm more excited than nervous." The annual step show, along with a block party and after-party, is sponsored by the Bicultural InterGreek Council and has become a tradition on Penn's campus. Historically African-American Greek chapters from across the east coast came to Penn both to perform and watch the festivities. "It has a very rich tradition," Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Program Coordinator Larry Moses said. "And we have a lot of people who come almost every year." This year's performance, before a packed auditorium, featured athletic prowess, creativity and energy -- lots of energy. "If you don't feel like you're going to die when you come off the stage, then you didn't step," said stepper Reese Blair, a recent St. Joseph's University graduate. Highlights of this year's show included an intricate routine by Alpha Phi Alpha, in which steppers rolled under a line of chairs in an effortless fashion -- each chair lifted in the nick of time so as to not injure the stepper. At the close of the fraternity's routine, members jumped off the stage to dance through the aisles of a cheering crowd. The group's efforts earned them a first place victory among the fraternities that competed. But for some, the victory was no surprise. When asked before the show if his team would win, McMillan replied without hesitation. "But of course, I wouldn't be stepping if I didn't think we would," he said. This year's sorority winner was Alpha Kappa Alpha, whose performance featured steppers decked out in tuxedos with glittery makeup. As the women's intricate step routines echoed throughout Irvine, they chanted their dedication to their sorority. "Why'd I choose AKA?" the women questioned. "It's my L-O-V-E, love from my soul," they responded. Other chapters featured performances with blindfolds, canes and knives. And some included stunts such as head stands and human pyramids. The three chapters with Penn members all placed in this year's competition, with Alpha Phi Alpha and Alpha Kappa Alpha claiming top awards and Zeta Phi Beta claiming second place. "We're really proud of getting second place," said Zeta Phi Beta sister and BIG-C President Tia Rideout. "It took a lot of work, but it really paid off." Despite the show's length -- more than four hours -- audience members enjoyed the show and said they had a good time. "My favorite part was the men doing the steps for the women," said NaTasha Brooks, a freshman at Cheyney University. "It was a little freaky."