One of the many servers takes a shortcut through an already stocked grocery aisle at the Freshgrocer's private reception to showcase the store for University administrators and community leaders. (Ben Rosenau/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

With shelves stocked full of perfectly arranged non-perishable foods, The Freshgrocer opened its doors last night -- but only to a select few. Community leaders, real estate officials and University administrators were among those invited to last night's private reception, which was complete with food, drink and a live jazz ensemble. After months of delays, The Freshgrocer is now scheduled to open in two to three weeks, according to Pat Burns, operator of the supermarket, which is located on the corner of 40th and Walnut streets. "What we wanted to do tonight is show the community the quality level of the store, though the opening is still a few days away," Tom Lussenhop, the University's top real estate official, said yesterday. Philadelphia City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell sang the praises of Burns, who, in addition to collaborating on The Freshgrocer project, is also working on other West Philadelphia supermarkets. Blackwell noted that the store at 40th and Walnut will be the first of its kind between West Philadelphia and Center City, calling it "a great meeting place." Burns stressed that The Freshgrocer has made a solid commitment to serving the people of West Philadelphia, noting that approximately 95 percent of the employees already hired are from the local community. As part of the presentation last night, four community organizations -- West Powelton Concerned Community Council, University City Hospitality Kitchen, People's Emergency Center and Project Home at St. Columba's -- were each given $750 in $5 "chips" redeemable at the store. The 32,000 square-foot market's interior features all of the characteristics of a conventional grocery store, in addition to a substantial prepared foods and deli area -- which will include brick oven pizza, sushi and a full service salad bar. With sleek, clean lines and an open feel, shoppers can look forward to a mezzanine-level indoor cafe with seating for approximately 60, as well as outdoor seating for nicer weather. Two conveyor belts located next to the check-out area will whisk groceries up to the parking garage that sits above The Freshgrocer, allowing shoppers to pick up their packages without leaving their cars. Burns recognized that there is a misconception that sky-high price tags will accompany the space-age technology and design of his new market. He was quick to dispel this myth. "People have this perception because it looks so fabulous that it will be expensive," he said. "But we are the most competitively-priced store in the area, with prices equal to, if not better than, Thriftway down the block." "People are going to come from the community, from the University, from Rittenhouse Square... all over, to shop here," said an enthusiastic John Fry, executive vice president of the University. "It makes Fresh Fields look like nothing. It's the best supermarket in Philadelphia." "It's the same strategy we have taken with Pod, first serving the campus and then opening it up to the whole area," he added. "The place is gorgeous," said Theo LeCompte, College senior and Connaissance co-chairman, who attended last night's event. "It looks like it is going to be a bit more upscale than most students would like. I just hope they will be sensitive to adjusting pricing after opening." Becky Wasserman, a College senior, echoed LeCompte's sentiments on the attractiveness of the new market, but expressed concern that the opening had been delayed yet again. "They shouldn't make construction projects with no definite end," she said. "They tell you these deadlines but then they don't really mean them." Burns anticipated that the store's hours would be from about 6 a.m. to midnight, and said he is currently working on the possibility of keeping the market open 24 hours.