At a reception in his honor, William Kelley watches the unveiling of his portrait while hugging Medical School alumnus Walter Gamble. (Ben Rosenau/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Former Health System Chief Executive Officer William Kelley was given a hero's welcome on Friday as his portrait was officially unveiled in the Biomedical Research Building. Reading like a "who's who" of medical professionals, the list of speakers at the symposium -- entitled "Predictions for the New Millennium" -- included Human Genome Project head Francis Collins and Medical School Vice Dean for Education Gail Morrison. "They have come to honor one of their own," said University President Judith Rodin, who opened the event. Kelley, who was ousted from the Health System's highest post by Rodin just over a year ago, expressed no ill will towards the University. "I think it's wonderful," Kelley said of the gala. "It's a fantastic thing they're doing and I appreciate it." Under Kelley's leadership -- from 1993 to the beginning of last year -- the Medical School climbed in the national rankings from No. 10 to No. 3. The University also rose to the No. 2 spot in funding from the National Institutes of Health. "Bill Kelley is one of the dominant figures in academic medicine," said Edward Holmes, vice chancellor for health sciences at the University of California at San Diego. "He transformed the School of Medicine into one of the premier medical schools in the country." After hearing presentations on the future of healthcare, the audience of about 200 -- which included Penn alumnus and Physiology and Medicine Nobel Laureate Mike Brown -- was treated to a fully catered reception of various hors d'oeuvres. All of the speakers had some connection with Kelley, such as Penn alumnus and former Board of Trustees Chairman Roy Vagelos. "I first met Bill when he was at NIH and he took a course of mine," said Vagelos, who donated $10 million to the Chemistry Department in 1995 and another $10 million in 1997. "We both survived." "Every building has had the impact of Bill Kelley," Vagelos continued. "In my view Bill was the dean of medical school deans." Kelley, who led the drive to integrate the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Presbyterian Medical Center, Pennsylvania Hospital and Phoenixville Hospital under the umbrella of the Health System, was also seen by some as the reason for the poor financial performance of the beleaguered system. In 1999, close to 2,800 positions were eliminated in a series of layoffs. And by last year, the Health System had racked up nearly $300 million in losses. But last month the Board of Trustees reported that the Health System has begun a financial recovery and will likely post a profit this year. Penn has also chosen to restructure the Health System into a new non-profit entity with its own CEO. Despite the financial problems which plagued the system at the close of Kelley's tenure, Health System Chief Financial Officer Peter DeAngelis attributed the recent turnaround to Kelley's efforts. "In a sense, it was initiated under Bill's leadership," DeAngelis said. Peter Quinn, chairman of oral and maxillofacial surgery agreed. "When the medical historians look back at the University of Pennsylvania, they'll see this inordinate blip of activity in the past decade," said Quinn, who organized the symposium and reception. "[Kelley] achieved the foundations of everything." Kelley was forced from the Health System's top spot last February. According to Quinn, preparations for the portrait unveiling began in May. Looking back on his achievements, Kelley thanked the Medical School faculty. "I'm immensely proud of the thousands of faculty," Kelley said. "They did a magnificent job of doing exactly what we planned." Besides his portrait, Kelley was presented with a certificate by representatives of the Medical Student Government.