Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) speaks at a B-GLAD rally yesterday where he emphasized the importance of political involvement to help further lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender causes. (Theodore Schweitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Nearly 70 people came together yesterday for a rally on College Green as part of Penn's Bisexual Gay Lesbian Transgender Awareness Days, listening to a handful of speakers discuss issues concerning the LGBT community. Speaking to an often cheering audience, Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Provost Robert Barchi highlighted the panel of speakers. During the rally, Barchi pointed out that while the University community has become more tolerant of sexual minorities, problems still exist. "We're still at a time when the occasional hate mail is received," Barchi said. Students who attended the rally praised Barchi's appearance and appreciated his knowledge of B-GLAD on campus. "It was nice that he was so willing and ready to speak," B-GLAD Planning Committee co-chair and College sophomore Karim Javeri said. "He knew what the calendar was like," Javeri added. Frank's remarks centered on his belief that political involvement is necessary to further the awareness of LGBT issues not only on college campuses, but throughout the country. "We need to do a much better job of participating politically," said Frank, one of the few openly gay members of Congress. "We have done a much better job of winning the cultural war than winning the political war," he added. Frank stressed that while attending events like the B-GLAD rally is important, political participation is most crucial in working for social change. "I'm glad to see people here at this rally," Frank said. "But I'll be honest with you, I'd be even gladder to know that you all vote religiously in primaries and... elections." Prior to the event, Frank said he came to Penn to help students talk openly about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues. "I feel a particular obligation to talk to student groups," Frank said."Obviously, there are particular problems with students facing homophobia and not yet being fully protected." Greenfield Intercultural Center Associate Director Karlene Burrell-McRae stressed the importance of student activism and alliances between different groups. "I am an ally and I come to share my thoughts to you today as an ally of the queer community," Burrell-McRae said. Later in the rally, College senior Michael Hartwyk told those in attendance that he had experienced two incidents of harassment just last weekend. "I felt completely like an outsider," Hartwyk said. Yet Hartwyk was positive overall about his experience as an openly gay man here at Penn and hopeful for the future. "I'm delighted to be passing the torch to some very fine activists," he said. Frank also stressed that many Americans are tolerant of gay and lesbian issues. "Straight people suddenly realized that they really weren't homophobic, they just thought they were supposed to be," Frank said. He was, however, critical of the new Bush administration. "There's no significant Republican support of any of our rights," he said. For those in attendance, the rally was a largely positive experience. "I thought it was absolutely terrific," Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center Director Robert Schoenberg said of the rally. "Every speaker was thoughtful, moving, inspiring." "I thought Barney Frank was great," Engineering junior Michael Krouse added. "I was especially moved by the people who shared their own experiences," he added.