Penn Six-5000, one of several groups that came out to raise money for breast cancer research, entertains the crowd at the Greek coffee house last night. (Lina Cherfas/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

Last night the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house was transformed into a jam-packed coffee house featuring some of Penn's most popular performing arts groups. The event marked the official start of this year's Greek Weekend, an annual celebration of Greek life at Penn. "Tonight was a big success," Panhellenic Council Vice President of Publicity Ann Goldenberg said. "We had a huge turn-out. We're really feeling enthusiastic about the way the rest of the weekend is going to go." Students were charged a $5 entrance fee to experience the talents of Penny Loafers, Strictly Funk, Dischord, Counterparts, Penn Six-5000, Arts House Dance and Off the Beat -- and of course, enjoy all the coffee they could drink. All proceeds -- $950 in total -- will benefit the Rena Rowan Breast Health Center, the current Panhel philanthropy. "I thought it went very well," InterFraternity Council president Mark Zimring said. "It was an excellent opportunity for us to get together... enjoy excellent entertainment and at the same time do something for the community." The remainder of Greek Weekend will feature a Friday night Shabbat dinner as part of the campus-wide Shabbat Across Penn program, participation in community service projects on Saturday and study hours on Sunday. Next Wednesday, the IFC will sponsor a Red Cross blood drive. "We've got entertainment, social [and] civic events," said Goldenberg, a College sophomore. "The major goal of Greek Weekend is to promote the Greek system and to show the great things the Greek system does on campus," the Sigma Delta Tau sister added. Although the rain trickled outside, it did not dampen the high spirits of those in attendance. And for a variety of reasons, hundreds of students filed in to what was at times a standing-room-only affair. College freshman Chantal Tugendhaft said she simply came "to hear Off the Beat." The SDT pledge later added, "I think it's great." "I think it's a wonderful way for people to see different performing arts groups," College sophomore and Strictly Funk performer Nicole Hida said. And although it was clear that the audience enjoyed the entire show, some acts proved to be crowd favorites. The Penny Loafers opened the evening off with three a capella songs featuring soloists. Following, Strictly Funk members, wearing bright orange sweatshirts and black pants performed a number pumped with attitude. Penn-Six's performance included several memorable moments. Among other things, the all-male a capella group, told a joke and performed a humorous rendition of "From a Distance." The group's final number had the audience clapping to the beat and screaming as a wet and topless a capella member energetically sang a rendition of Madonna's "Like a Prayer." And Off the Beat -- the only a capella group not to use microphones -- brought the evening to a close with three melodic tunes. "This is just an excellent way for us to do something for the community and enjoy ourselves," Zimring, a College junior, said.