To the Editor: Courtney McMillian's column ("Building campus faith, step by step," The Daily Pennsylvanian, 2/2/01) was illustrative of the growth and strength of student religious groups at Penn in general. Penn's religious life landscape is energetic and diverse and reflects, mirrors, and contributes to the dynamism and attractiveness of this special academic community. Indeed, some of the religious communities at Penn enjoy national reputations for their programs and activities and for the level and variety of student participation. Further, we have learned that 35 to 37 percent of the members of each of the entering classes over the past four years identify themselves religiously and many continue to participate in religious communities and activities about spirituality, faith and belief throughout their time at Penn. That figure is comparable to the number of Penn students who are involved in Greek-letter organizations. Remarkably, non-Abrahamic traditions -- that is, faiths other than Judaism, Christianity and Islam -- have made their presence known in significant ways over the past few years. In every way, these groups support the mission of the University by their attention to the sacred texts of the various traditions and their exploration of what it means to be human and faithful to a tradition at the dawning of a new century. The diversity of Christian communities that McMillian observed at the Total Praise Cafe -- an event I attended -- is a reflection of the larger, and appropriately richly textured religious life backdrop of the University. It is a pleasure and a learning experience to hear what students think and have to say about a variety of topics related to religion when they come together for the Student Interfaith Council dialogues and the programs of the Religious Life Liaisons, two student-led forums for interfaith engagement and personal growth. I trust that much of this energy, enthusiasm and spiritual acuity will find a home beginning next fall at the new space on the ground floor of what is now the Veranda. While student religious groups will continue to meet in different places on campus it is our hope that the Locust Walk location will be a religious activities commons for the kind of programming that McMillian identified in her affirming column.

William Gipson University Chaplain

To the Editor: This message is in response to letters written recently ("Don't laud Greek system," DP, 2/6/01) regarding Penn's Greek system. The letters criticize the Greek system, arguing that it brings nothing to campus aside from parties. However, neither of the authors are members of the Greek system. Ask any member of a fraternity or sorority about Greek life and they will tell you it has only made their experiences at Penn more rewarding. In addition to its social aspects, Greek life is about academics, community service, brother/sisterhood and leadership. Fraternities and sororities must be doing something right. Eighty-five percent of Fortune 500 executives, 85 percent of Supreme Court Justices(since 1800), 71 percent of people listed in Who's Who, 76 percent of Congressmen, University President Judith Rodin and many more are Greek. In his letter, Naresh Nagella asks if "one just gloss over rape occurrences and even alcohol-related deaths" (caused by the Greeks). I implore him and other members of the University community not to be fooled by stereotypes. Not one alcohol-related hospitalization has occurred due to a registered fraternity or sorority party since the institution of the alcohol policy several years ago. In addition, to take such a serious issue as rape and accuse Greeks of being responsible is both insulting and ignorant. His statement is simply not true Do they still teach ethics in the Law School? Nagella should be more careful in the future to do his research before making such serious allegations. Penn's Greek system plays a vital role at the University and in the community, and we refuse to be scapegoats for unfortunate occurrences at Penn.

Mark Zimring College '02

The writer is president of the Inter-Fraternity Council.