To the Editor: Binyamin Applebaum's column, ("Truth, justice and the need for full disclosure, The Daily Pennsylvanian, 2/1/01) highlights the importance of seeking out the opinions of Penn's diverse student body when we issue statements on controversial topics. Over the past two years, the Undergraduate Assembly has taken policy positions on sweatshops, Napster, electronic privacy, parental notification, the Southeast Asian Regional Studies Department and the University's financial aid structure, to name just a few issues. We always hear both sides of any issue before releasing a statement and we aim to act in the best interests of all students. In the past, the UA has hosted open forums, written guest columns in the DP asking for student input and sent out e-mails to the student body. Unfortunately, our open forums are poorly attended and our e-mails go unanswered. I encourage all students to attend a UA meeting or e-mail me (mbassik@sas.upenn.edu) whenever you have something to say about an issue that affects our campus. As your elected student representatives, the entire UA is dedicated to providing you a forum in which to have your voice heard on the FERPA issue and any other issue that matters to you.

Michael Bassik College '01

The writer is the chairman of the Undergraduate Assembly.