Like most student groups, they host movie nights and plan dinner events. But the members of Rangoli and the South Asia Society also have a more altruistic goal. In the spirit of volunteerism, the organizations have raised over $2,000 in the past week to support survivors of last Friday's 7.9-magnitude earthquake, which struck Gujarat, India and already has killed an estimated 14,000 people. The death toll is expected to climb closer to 30,000. More than 10 Penn organizations have contributed to the cause by collecting donations, planning a film festival and agreeing to perform at a dinner to raise money for various charities and aid organizations. "People have been very forthcoming, very generous," Fine Arts graduate student Pushkar Sohoni said. Volunteers from Rangoli -- the Indian graduate student association -- and the Hindu Student Council have staffed a table on Locust Walk since the beginning of the week, accepting donations from passing students and faculty. According to Sohoni, a Rangoli board member, most donate small change or a dollar bill, but some have contributed as much as $20, $50 and even $100. "Some people don't ask questions," Sohoni said. "People give us checks without filling in who [the money will go] to." The January 26 earthquake has left more than 100,000 homeless, and resulted in roughly $5.5 billion in damages. "I can't really even comprehend 25,000 dead," said College and Wharton freshman Vijay Mehta, who volunteered to collect donations. "But we do what we can to help. No man is an island." Donation boxes for money, clothing and supplies have been set up in the lobbies of various dorms and school buildings, such as the Pan-Asian American Community House and Williams Hall, home of the South Asia Regional Studies department. A prayer event was held Tuesday night, while the South Asia Society and Sangam are sponsoring an earthquake relief dinner event Sunday in the ARCH building. All of the proceeds from the dinner will go directly to KOJAIN, a charity organization. Local restaurants Tandoor, Sitar and New Delhi have all agreed to donate food. According to College sophomore Ketan Gala, the earthquake literally hit close to home, as many students are from the affected areas. "We decided we needed to do something immediately," Gala said. "A lot of us have family out there and we just wanted to help in any way possible." For all students, including College sophomore An Lam, the desire to help is instinctual. "I've heard about it on the news and saw the images," said Lam, who donated money twice. "I figured if I can help in any way, why not?"