Christmas is a time for giving and receiving. And right now, several Penn faculty and staff are emphasizing giving. Operation Santa Claus will bring gifts to elderly Philadelphians and disabled children next week. The charity event was started 13 years ago by Yvonne Oronzio, an executive secretary in Student Financial Services, and John DeLong, an SFS senior director. On December 13, the recipients of this year's community service project will gather at the Sheraton University City Hotel, where they will be treated to a holiday meal and live entertainment. The hotel will donate the space and refreshments for the event. Children from the Delta School for mentally and physically challenged youth and senior citizens from three West Philadelphia nursing homes will receive the gifts donated by various Penn community members. According to Oronzio, Operation Santa Claus would not be possible without the efforts of Penn staff -- from employees at Facilities Services to the Registrar's Office. This year, a Facilities Services worker will play the crucial role of Santa Claus on the occasion. One instrumental donor is Alice Kelley, assistant dean of advising in the College. "This is my favorite part of Christmas," Kelley said, adding that she is extremely grateful to Oronzio, who she said carries out the event "with love, energy and continued enthusiasm." Both Oronzio and Kelley noted the absence of student involvement in the project. Kelley said that more should be done to solicit the help of students, like placing flyers around College Houses. Oronzio was quick to praise the Sheraton, which agreed to donate its staff and ballroom for the first year ever. "They told me not to worry about a thing," Oronzio said. The project has grown rapidly since its inception, evolving from a simple gathering of gifts to the full-scale community-based event that it is today. Operation Santa Claus should once again prove beneficial to the surrounding community, Oronzio said. "It's so rewarding," Oronzio said. Adding that she feels very committed to the annual event, Oronzio said, "I couldn't possibly have my own Christmas [without it]."