Everyone has days where nothing goes according to plan and every conceivable wrench finds its way into the gears. Unfortunately for the Penn men's cross country team, last Friday's Heptagonal Championships fell exactly on one of those days. Going into Heps, Penn coach Charlie Powell and his charges saw a chance to earn the respect they felt they deserved as a top team in the Ivy League. They have proved their dedication this season and, according to Powell, have really come together as a group. Penn came in seventh out of the nine teams assembled at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. The day was an unforeseen disappointment. Despite the fact that senior Bryan Kovalsky had a great race, bringing home tenth place overall and Anthony Ragucci came in an impressive 15th place, only four Penn runners finished the race in the top 40. Sophomore Anthony Sager, one of the Quakers' top five runners, dropped out of the race, due to cramps. Five runners are required to finish up top in order for a team to place well as a whole. "Our sixth man is not at the level of our top five yet," Powell said, "So no one was there to step up and fill in." Matt Gioffre, who came in 25th overall, also had a disappointing race. "I rigged up after the 5K. I went out harder than I wanted to and paid the price in the last mile," Gioffre said. Penn runners were not the only ones not to live up to expectations at Heps. Dartmouth, which was hardly considered the favorite coming in, came out with a surprise championship. "Everyone thought Princeton would win, they have so much talent, and Harvard was having problems," Powell said. "Going in, first and last place were taken, and everything else was up for grabs." "No one expected Dartmouth to be in the top third, but they really came together," Gioffre said. Friday's results mean the Quakers need to run their best race of the season next weekend at the District Championships if they have any hope of further competition this fall. Penn has to finish in third or fourth place at Districts to make the NCAA Championships. At the same time, they will have to face some of the top teams in the country. Georgetown, Villanova and Penn State will run at Districts. All are ranked among the top 15 teams in the nation. The Quakers say they are ready. "Coach Powell had us prepared physically and mentally," Ragucci said. "In a way, we let him down at Heps, but I know he has full confidence in us this coming weekend." And according to Gioffre, no one has given up. "We're looking to prove ourselves at Districts. If we can come together for this race I'll feel our season went well."