The campaign trail brought presidential hopeful George W. Bush to Philadelphia last Thursday evening for a fundraising event at the Westin Hotel.

In front of an audience of 300, the Texas governor spoke on issues ranging from the national surplus to the military to nuclear arms.

But before he started describing his platform, he recalled a conversation with a student on a recent trip to inner-city schools in Detroit.

"You could be a lawyer if you wanted. You could be part of the American dream," Bush said he told the youngster.

Bush soon moved on to address the national surplus, advocating a cut in the marginal tax rate.

"My opponent believes the surplus is the government's money. I believe the surplus is the people's money," he said. "And I want to share the surplus money with the people who pay the bills."

On the military, Bush showed enthusiasm for rebuilding military power, employing technological advances and rebuilding morale.

"I'm running to keep the peace," Bush said, speaking of a new international dynamic in a post Cold War era. "We have to recognize that threats are different threats. People who can't stand what we believe in hate our freedom."

"Russia is no longer the enemy," Bush noted while describing his proposal to reduce the nuclear stockpile.

While speaking about American education, Bush pointed to the reforms he has implemented in his own state.

"If you receive any money, in return you must test and post results," he said, advocating standardized testing in schools.

And Bush also said he would work to restore confidence in the nation's leaders in Washington, D.C. by instituting systemic changes like eliminating unnecessary spending and ratifying appointees within 60 days.

Held and paid for by the Pennsylvania Republican State Committee, the fundraising dinner cost $1,000 a plate for those assembled.

While the supporters arrived at 5:30 p.m., Bush and entourage arrived at 6:15 p.m. and all gathered around the platform as Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge delivered a warm welcome.

Bush stayed overnight in Philadelphia before giving a speech on government reform Friday at Carpenter's Hall in Center City.

During Friday's speech, he proposed a government reform plan that he said would save taxpayers $88 million and would make the government "citizen-centered, results-oriented, and market-based."

Included in the reform plans are the establishment of performance-based incentives in civil service, flattening the federal hierarchy by eliminating 40,000 senior and middle managers and requiring agencies to pass their annual audits.