Business etiquette expert Mary Mitchell spoke about online and dining manners as part of a two-day etiquette conference. According to syndicated columnist and business etiquette expert Mary Mitchell, the way a person cuts their food can make or break a business lunch. To help prevent students from committing such a faux-pas, Mitchell spoke to a crowd of about 50 students yesterday afternoon in Steinberg-Dietrich Hall on "Interactive Dining and Netiquette." Sponsored by the pledge class of Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity, yesterday's workshop was the conclusion of a two-day conference on business etiquette and dress. On Wednesday, Delta Sigma Pi sponsored the first half, with a workshop entitled, "How to Act, How to Dress," featuring Mitchell and Kelly Stuart, east coast event coordinator for Brooks Brothers. Mitchell's Philadelphia-based company, The Mitchell Organization, specializes in providing training in communication and business etiquette skills. The first half of the workshop focused on online etiquette -- the proper use and tone of e-mail. Mitchell cautioned students on the importance of staying formal in all online communications. "Just because you are online doesn't mean the rules of grammar don't apply," said Mitchell. A important consideration when using e-mail, according to Mitchell, is "to remember the human," and that "nothing is as good as a handwritten note and a 33-cent stamp." For the second half of the workshop, Mitchell provided the audience with complete silverware sets in an effort to highlight common dining mistakes. Dining etiquette is such an important part of life, Mitchell pointed out, that Oscar Wilde once said, "the world was my oyster until I used the wrong fork." According to Mitchell, the way food is eaten is even more important than the food itself. "The food is the least important part of the meal because in business situations, you are there to advance your career," Mitchell said. "Business etiquette can help any student in any professional situation," said Wharton freshman Deborah Jang, president of Alpha Kappa Psi's pledge class. "We thought that the workshop would be informative and educational for the Penn community because lessons on etiquette do not exist here," Jang added. Students were generally receptive to Mitchell, asking her a variety of questions on topics including shaking hands and the correct way to eat bread. "I thought that she was excellent. I never thought that such details would matter, but in reality, they do," said Wharton junior Suyash Paliwal. "I love it that students are open-minded to realize that they need people skills as well as technical skills" said Mitchell afterwards, while signing copies of her book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Business Etiquette."