Penn students had a rare opportunity on Sunday to learn about careers in the performing arts directly from alumni who have gone on to reach their dreams of performing professionally. The Performing Arts Career Symposium 2000, presented by the Office of Student Performing Arts along with several campus organizations, brought seven alumni to the Annenberg Center's Studio Theatre. The panelists have distinguished themselves in various careers -- including screenwriting, acting, theater directing and even clowning -- after graduating from Penn. The discussion, moderated by SPA Coordinator Ty Furman, began with the alumni discussing their different experiences at Penn. A common theme among the speakers was their emphasis on extracurricular activities, as most of the alumni participated in some type of theater activity at Penn. For instance, Adam Gerstacov, a 1986 College graduate who now works as a professional clown, said he "ended up becoming really involved with Intuitions" during his time here. Susan Bernfield, the founder of an off-off-Broadway theater, was involved with Penn Players and Quadramics. Paul Provenza, a comedian and actor who has appeared in numerous productions on stage, film and television, then related his unique experience as an undergraduate to the audience. He owns the distinction of being the first Penn student to receive a bachelor's degree in Theater Arts. "There was no Theater Arts department," he told the 10 undergraduates present. "I ended up with the first Theater Arts degree, before they even had a program." Panel members also discussed their lives after Penn -- including the less glamorous parts -- like working odd jobs and sleeping on friends' couches while attempting to make their work known. Provenza gave advice to aspiring performers in the audience. "What's really important is to have something you can call your own," he said, a sentiment echoed by other panel members. "For me, it was stand-up comedy." And Josh Goldsmith, a 1992 College graduate and writer for the CBS comedy The King of Queens, added, "You can't depend on other people for your opportunities." Gerstacov advised students to be familiar with the business aspects of their intended professions, noting that Legal Studies courses were particularly valuable to him. After the panel discussion, the audience members moved upstairs to a reception held in the Annenberg lobby, where they mingled with the guests. "Our alumni [are] amazing. They love doing this?. They love talking to the students," Furman said. Furman added that attendance at the annual event tends to be much higher than it was on Sunday. He said he thought holding the event on Spring Fling weekend contributed to the poor attendance. Provenza said he had been particularly interested in participating in the symposium "because there was nothing like it when I was here." Janet Casamento, a College and Wharton senior who served on the 2000 Symposium Committee, said, "It's really? nice to see alumni who want to come back and give us the benefit of their knowledge."