The number of applicants for resident advisor and graduate associate positions in the college houses increased dramatically this year, with 40 percent more RA applications and 20 percent more GA applications than last year. The students selected for positions were notified by mail before spring break. Those who received offers from multiple college houses have time to decide which to accept before committing. "I've always liked working with people, and the college house system is a great way to get to know people," said College junior Robin Rolewicz, who will be a first-year RA in Harrison College House next year. Two hundred and seven students applied for the 90 RA positions, compared with 144 applicants last year, according to Director of College Houses and Academic Services David Brownlee. And Brownlee's office has received 114 applications so far from students interested in becoming GAs. The application process for GAs is rolling and applicants are accepted until all 111 positions are filled. "We're still looking at GAs and still getting applications from them, because the graduate school [admissions] process takes longer than the undergraduate," said Associate Director of College Houses and Academic Services Pamela Robinson, who coordinates the application process for RAs and GAs. Perhaps the greatest perk of the position is the fact that all RAs and GAs receive free housing and a free meal plan. Although the exact number of RAs and GAs renewing their contracts was not immediately available, Robinson said there were more openings for RAs this year than last because many of those currently holding the positions are graduating seniors. "There was, as usual, a very high caliber of candidates," Robinson said. Once students apply for GA and RA positions, their applications are reviewed by the appropriate house deans, who select promising applicants for interviews. Depending on the house, candidates go through one or more interviews, conducted by a panel of faculty, administrators, students and staff, who then make the selections. Robinson said the college houses look for RAs who are "very enthusiastic about undergraduate life in residence, who themselves come from diverse backgrounds in which they have often held leadership positions." She noted that students applying for RA positions frequently have worked as camp counselors. Robinson said she was particularly pleased with the number of applications submitted online using a system established two years ago. The system allows house deans to begin reading candidates' applications immediately after they have been submitted, speeding up the selection process.