In the United States, blacks have been officially free from slavery for more than 130 years. The Israelites -- the ancestors of the Jewish people -- were also enslaved, over 3,000 years ago, until Moses led them out of Egypt. This shared historical experience was the impetus for Monday night's program called "Once We Were Slaves." About 50 students -- most of whom were Jewish -- gathered in W.E.B. DuBois College House for an address by Asian and Middle Eastern Studies Professor Jeffrey Tigay, small group discussions and a symbolic meal. The program coincided with Passover, the annual Jewish celebration of the Exodus from Egypt. "I think it's a wonderful idea for these two communities to share a Passover meal," Tigay said, referring to the seder, a ritual feast at the beginning of Passover that marks the end to Jewish enslavement and the continuing struggle against oppression. Sponsored by Alliance and Understanding -- an award-winning program for fostering Black-Jewish interaction at Penn -- and Tzedek Hillel, a Jewish student community service initiative, the goal of the program was to "facilitate a dialogue about our histories and oppression," said College sophomore Noga Newberg, a member of both organizations. After Tigay drew historical parallels between African American and Jewish struggles, students from both communities enjoyed symbolic seder foods, such as parsley dipped in salt water -- a metaphor for the pain and tears of slavery -- and boiled eggs, which represent hope and rebirth. Four suggested discussion questions -- modeled after the four questions asked at the beginning of every seder -- prompted intense discussion at the five tables of participants. Some students noted the similarities between the experiences of African Americans and Jews, which have contributed to effective communication between the groups at certain points in American history. "If you have a real threat that you see and you feel, you tend to overlook differences," said Charise Lindsay, a College junior and member of Alliance and Understanding. Even today, some people -- such as white supremacists -- "have just as much hatred for both of our groups," added College sophomore Samantha Cohen. Still, some students felt that tension still exists between African Americans and Jews in America -- and at Penn. "The atmosphere at Penn is not neutral, so it's actually going against integration," Lindsay said. Others agreed that the University must actively facilitate interaction between different ethnic communities. College junior Beth Harkavy, who coordinated last night's program, said she believes that students don't voluntarily place enough emphasis on increasing African American-Jewish dialogue on campus. "I went to a Jewish school for 18 years," College freshman Jonah Lowenfeld said. "I come here and I don't know what to do with myself." And College sophomore and Alliance and Understanding member Wayman Newton emphasized the need to take individual responsibility for one's social circle. "I have Jewish friends. I choose to live at DuBois. It's a choice," he said. The program closed with a chorus of "Let My People Go," an inspirational song about the Exodus which is well-known in both the African American and Jewish communities. Alliance and Understanding, now in its third year of existence, sponsors African American-Jewish programming and educational spring breaks for Penn students. Newberg said last night's program was an important step in "creating awareness about the relationships that are possible between black and Jews."