Penn was upset with its performance at the Delaware invitational. Their words all week expressed a desire to rebound at the Delaware Invitational after last weekend's disappointing effort. Their actions failed to provide such an uplift, however. Last week, the members of the Penn men's track team said they had to put their poor outing at the Jasper Relays behind them, while looking to improve in their final stretch of regular season meets. Senior pole vaulter Bob Reynolds went so far as to say the team needed to act as if the championship was on the line each time they went out and performed. The Quakers should be grateful that this competition, like last week's at Manhattan, was not scored. The Red and Blue's midseason slump proved not to be just an isolated lapse in an otherwise solid season. Penn was far from satisfied with its overall effort at the Delaware Invitational in Newark, Del., this Saturday and Sunday. "We didn't really break out this weekend, which was kind of disappointing," sophomore distance runner Anthony Ragucci said. Ragucci indicated that, despite a heightened sense of urgency this weekend, the Quakers failed to respond to adversity. "I personally think that we still need to work on being more intense," sophomore jumper Tuan Wreh said, perhaps pinpointing the source of the Quakers' troubles. Although the team as a whole put forth another subpar performance, many individuals -- including Wreh -- haven't lost a step since their early season success. Wreh placed second in the long jump with a mark of 6.77 meters. The pole vault unit, possibly the strongest part of Penn's team, grabbed three of the top four spots, with juniors Aaron Prokopec and John Church tying for second (4.80 meters) and Luke Stokes taking third (4.65). The runners also enjoyed some success. Senior captain Sean MacMillan finished second in the 5,000 (15:09.58) and Bryan Kovalsky took third in the 3,000 with a time of 8:46.60. Perhaps most noteworthy were the efforts put forth by the relay squads. Penn placed second in the 4x800, while the Red and Blue's fifth place finish in the 4x400 was good enough to earn Laethe Coleman, Matt Lorditch, Mike Aguilar and Craig Douglas IC4A berths. Ragucci does not deny that some athletes are doing their part, but it is not enough. "I think we're making strides," he said, "but we have a ways to go before Heps." And Heps weighs more heavily on the collective mind of the team with each passing week. The late February showdown at Dartmouth nears as Penn might be in its most vulnerable state of the season. That is why the Quakers are putting a great deal of stock in next week's competition at Boston University. "It's just a momentum builder," said Ragucci, who claimed that confidence is what Penn needs most at this point. Perhaps Penn could be accused of viewing the Delaware Invitational as just another insignificant preparatory measure before Heps, but the Quakers know that a good showing in Boston next Saturday is essential for their psyche if nothing else.