It would have just been another routine Wharton faculty meeting. But with the exhaustive search for a new dean coming to an end and University President Judith Rodin scheduled to make a guest appearance, anticipation was running high through the halls of the business school yesterday. And when Rodin made the long-awaited announcement that Interim Dean Patrick Harker was officially appointed the new Wharton dean, the positive reaction from the faculty was overwhelming. "It was the longest applause I've ever heard at a faculty meeting," said Erik Clemons, professor of Operations and Information Management. Paul Shaman, chair of the Statistics Department, echoed Clemons' sentiments. "The faculty were greatly pleased with this appointment," Shaman said. "There was a strong and lengthy applause." Even though news of Harker's then-upcoming appointment was kept secret after the Wharton Dean Search Committee's 14-month search, some members of the faculty sensed that a final decision was coming yesterday. "There was a lot of anticipation on the part of some people, but many people had assumed that Harker would be named dean," Shaman explained. The expectation of Harker's appointment was met with approval, if not surprise, by certain faculty members. "Earlier on [in the search], it would have been more surprising to have an internal candidate selected," Finance Professor Jeremy Siegel said. "Pat has done such an excellent job as interim dean, I'm not surprised. He became the logical choice of the committee." And Richard Shell, chair of the Legal Studies Department, also vocalized his support for the committee's decision. "I was delighted by the choice," Shell said. "[Harker] is the right kind of person to take this job at this time." Siegel said Harker seemed committed to advancing Wharton's prowess in electronic commerce and education. Indeed, Harker's strong information technology background has made him especially appealing to faculty members and students alike. "[Harker] seems to want to move aggressively into the area of distance learning," Siegel said, suggesting Web-based learning as an example. "He seems to be very responsive in wishing to incorporate that into the Wharton curriculum." Wharton junior Nikhil Da Victoria Lobo, who served as Wharton class representative freshman and sophomore year, said students seem to be very excited with the selection. "A lot of students, both undergraduates and MBAs, want the school to move forward in the department of e-commerce," Da Victoria Lobo said. "[Harker] is an expert in this field and people are very excited that he's bringing this background into the Wharton School." Clemons added that although Harker's technology background is a strong point, he has other assets to add to the job. "Pat will make sure that we're not ever out of date, but he won't forget the traditional strength of the school," explained Clemons. "Pat has been a spectacular researcher, a spectacular teacher, a spectacular administrator and he did a great job as an interim director."