Sorority and fraternity reunions weren't the only Homecomings that took place on Locust Walk last Saturday night. Kelly Writers House drew in an audience of students, alumni and members of the community to partake in an informal evening program featuring the works of five alumni writers. According to Writers House Faculty Director Al Filreis, who hosted the reading, the function was designed to "celebrate the fact that writers exist in the community" and to "lend support to young writers." Dan Rottenberg, a 1964 College graduate and former Daily Pennsylvanian sports editor, began by reading the introduction of his newest work, The Inheritor's Handbook: A Definitive Guide for Beneficiaries. An established local author who has written seven books, Rottenberg explained that his new work "offers advice on being an heir and having conversations about death and money." He deals with "approaching any complicated subject by making it clear and possibly funny." This humorous twist on mortality was only the beginning of the eclectic mix of readings that followed. Ellen Umansky, a 1991 College graduate whose writing has appeared in The New York Times, Playboy and, most recently, Jane, read an excerpt from her new short story titled "Who Wants is Wanting." Russel Like, a 1989 College and Wharton graduate, followed, sharing parts of his work titled After the Blue, a science fiction novel about "silly looking aliens who destroy the earth and then try to fix it," according to the author. Later, 1972 College graduate Joe Williams and 1998 College alumnus Nate Chinen brought a different flavor to the event by reading selections from their poetry. "My poems are obsessed with the dramas of guilt and sorrow in which we are actors and locate our humanity," Williams said. He read some of his sonnets, including "JonBenet" -- a poem referring to murdered child beauty pageant queen JonBenet Ramsey -- "My Sonnet for Doc" and "Stalled Birth." Chinen read from his book Lucky Stars (Thursday Night Express Poems) and shared a poem entitled "Travel Log," which was written on a bowling scorecard he obtained while traveling in New Orleans. Audience members reacted positively to the diverse program. "The event was a good opportunity to have alumni back and it was somewhat of a slant on the normal functions at the Writers House," Allie D'Augustine said. The College sophomore was impressed with the diversity of styles represented by the authors, commenting that it was a "good mix." Many members of the audience, including 1998 College graduate Luke Szyrmer, backed her sentiments, saying that he felt that "it was great that the Writers House was bringing everyone together for the event." In addition to reading from their works, the authors shared their insights on writing with the audience. "If you know how to communicate, you are well ahead of the game, even if you don't become a writer," said Rottenberg, who encouraged aspiring writers to speak with him after the program. Williams, on the other hand, said "writing is among the loneliest preoccupations" and that his path to becoming a writer was "a long road." "Everything you learn increases your world and the bigger the world, the more you have to work with," Williams added.