Getting your writing published is rarely an easy task. But Penn alumni and 1993 graduates Caren Lissner and Josh Piven tried to ease the process last Thursday night by giving students a few helpful tips at Kelly Writers House. The program was organized by program manager Heather Starr and entitled "How To Get Published." Piven and Lissner spoke about their experiences in their young careers, discussing in hindsight what did and did not work in terms of getting writing jobs and getting their work published. "I was a very confused young Penn English major who wanted desperately to someday just be a writer," said Lissner, who was recently promoted to managing editor for a chain of weekly newspapers in Hudson County, N.J. Once a reporter for The Daily Pennsylvanian, she has since written for The New York Times, The Philadelphia Inquirer and Harper's. Piven, author of the book The Worst Case Scenario Survival Guide, first took an entry-level job in New York after graduation. "Living in New York on that salary is very frustrating mostly because you are in New York and you can't afford to do the things that people go to New York to do," he said. Piven is currently writing for several magazines, including Business Philadelphia Magazine and Success Magazine. Lissner and Piven know the keys to becoming a published writer. "People always discourage writers," Lissner said. "And they always say you're not going to make any money, but nobody becomes a writer for the money." She and Piven offered advice for getting one's first work published. Lissner explained a good start would be winning a writing contest because winning pieces can be recognized and published. "Take the first publishing job you get," Piven also advised. Both he and Lissner agreed that the first job opens many more doors to the writer. "Writing is all about networking," Piven said. "It really is all about contacts." From there, Piven explained that showing initiative and being a "self-starter" are advantageous for the first job. By following that strategy, some of Piven's own work was published during his first job, he said. Lissner and Piven also gave advice on freelance writing. They made it clear that although freelance writing has creative perks it has its disadvantages as well. "It is very difficult," Piven said of dependence on freelancing as one's sole source of income. "My recommendation would be to get into publishing and then try to make some extra cash through freelance writing." Neither Lissner nor Piven used agents to publish their work. "If you are trying to sell a book, send it to a bunch of agents," Lissner said. "Say 'this is who I am, this is what I have done.'" In terms of finding an agent, Lissner recommended using the agent of an author with a similar writing technique. Both Lissner and Piven admit that becoming a published writer is difficult but can be worth the effort. "Your whole career can be put on hold," Lissner explained. "But it is a series of miracles, and it can pay off." They both agreed that perseverance is the key. "Write, write, write and submit, submit, submit," Piven advised.