THE LINE -- It could have been the nearly 48-hour tedium as students lay on sleeping bags, futons and lawn chairs in the cluttered Palestra hallways. It could have been the zealous fervor as they booed tonight's announcement of a strict "no standing policy" in the sideline student sections during this season's home games. Or maybe it was the two guys and a girl who made a fast break in the buff to energize the fans early Sunday morning. But by late last night, when men's basketball coach Fran Dunphy took to the hardwood to thank the diehard Penn fans for their support, it was clear that this year's fans were pumped up for another season of Penn basketball and a shot at back-to-back Ivy League championships. Since 9 a.m. Saturday, loyal Penn basketball fans have spent much of their weekend waiting in "The Line," the annual tradition of sleeping over in college basketball's most historic arena to get first shot at men's basketball season tickets. This year's line began with the distribution of place-holding wristbands on Thursday night before the line officially began on Saturday morning. Tickets were to go on sale this morning at 6 a.m. Working in teams of up to four, students were required to have at least one student in line at all times on Saturday, two students in line starting Sunday afternoon and the entire team present by 6 p.m. last night. According to Alanna Wren, assistant to Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky, and one of the coordinators of the line, more than 292 people signed up to participate -- the most ever to sign up in advance for season tickets. However, by late Sunday night, line leaders removed at least 66 people for not having the appropriate number of group members present during one of the random line checks. "Penn's men's hoops is the most exciting sport for Penn students," said Wharton senior Richard Stavert, who secured the first position by rushing to the Button when news of the long-awaited starting time was announced at 9:35 p.m. Thursday. "Sacrificing part of the weekend, the opportunity to sit in the front row in one of college basketball's best is definitely worth it." Many Quakers fans spent their time on the line doing everything from playing video games and watching TV to studying. One group from the Kappa Alpha fraternity even trucked a Foosball table more than five blocks from their house on 38th Street to keep themselves amused. Although the atmosphere remained calm inside the Palestra for much of Saturday night, the evening had at least a few surprises, not the least of which were the student streakers. College sophomore Casey Humbyrd was also met with a surprise, as a small mouse joined her while she was laying down inside her sleeping bag. "Security just woke me up and told me that they thought there was a rodent in my bed," Humbyrd said. "I thought I was in trouble for a line check." Associate Athletic Director of Operations Peggy Kowalski said she was impressed with how the line was running. "The line leaders have been doing a great job -- it has been safe and secure, alcohol-free and a fun environment," she said. "Kids even studied [Sunday] afternoon. It was quieter than the library." But by Sunday evening, the rather subdued Penn crowd grew in both numbers and enthusiasm. By around 10 p.m., the crowd was cheering as Dunphy led a giveaway session in which fans had an opportunity to win prizes ranging from socks to airline tickets. In one raffle-drawn competition, some students were even invited onto the court for a shootout alongside Penn basketball players Michael Jordan and Matt Langel. In another prize competition, fans appeared to be warming up for the season when they reminded eight competitors' futile efforts to score in a game of four-on-four with ringing chants of "you suck" and "air-ball." Still, by the evening's close, students remained focused on what they were truly here for. As College senior Bryan Grossman said, "I've been doing this for three years, and I want to sit front row, chairback."