Among the highlights at yesterday's meeting of the University Board of Trustees' Executive Committee were resolutions calling for the construction of the $20 million Pottruck Health and Fitness Center -- the current Gimbel Gymnasium -- and the creation of a bioengineering laboratory for the School of Engineering and Applied Science. The Pottruck Health and Fitness Center, paid for primarily by a $10 million donation from 1970 College graduate and Trustee David Pottruck, will provide an estimated 70,800 square feet for free weights and cardiovascular equipment. It is part of the University's ongoing efforts to increase fitness and recreational space on campus and provides the first large-scale expansion of fitness facilities in recent memory. The pool, basketball courts and shower and bathroom facilities will be renovated as part of the project. Of Pottruck's donation, $5,873,059 has already been paid and the remainder will be paid by December 31, 2000. "The David S. Pottruck Health and Fitness Center is intended to supplement current facilities to meet campus needs for a comprehensive self-directed health and fitness program," the resolution stated. Vice President for Facilities Services Omar Blaik said the University is "within a week or so" of selecting an architect for the project. The $2 million bioengineering laboratory will be built in the Towne Building and is intended to provide more opportunities for cellular engineering research. The space will use 7,000 square feet for a microscopy laboratory, tissue culture facility, a dark room and associated administrative spaces. The project will be funded by the National Science Foundation, Facilities Renewal Funding, the Engineering School and the Research Facilities Development Fund. The Executive Committee, comprised of the 10 Charter Trustees and heads of key Trustees committees, approved one resolution on the purchase and installation of an open MRI for the Wayne MRI site, a satellite of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania located in suburban Philadelphia. The system costs about $690,000. The Trustees also approved a resolution calling for the construction of a state-of-the-art pediatrics clinic on the first floor of the Evans Building in the School of Dental Medicine. The construction is expected to cost $1.7 million and will provide support spaces, receptionist and waiting room and related office space. These four resolutions are in addition to one passed yesterday calling for a 40-year term lease period of the General Electric Building -- located at 31st and Walnut Streets -- to Westside Commons Associates, L.P., an affiliate of Dranoff Properties.