Four local politicos spoke at a rally outside Irvine Auditorium in support of the 9-day-old strike. "Philly is a union town. Wawa dairy's going down." Nine days into a contentious labor dispute, about 75 striking workers and supporters held a rally yesterday outside Irvine Auditorium at 34th and Spruce streets. Chanting loudly and brandishing signs urging people to avoid Wawa, the Teamsters were supported by three Philadelphia City Council members and U.S. Rep. Bob Brady. Council members David Cohen, Frank Rizzo and Rick Mariano told about 75 cheering Teamsters that Council stands behind them and will support the 9-day-old strike by Wawa's unionized truck drivers and warehouse workers. The main point of contention between management and the union is the issue of overtime pay. "Philadelphia is the strongest labor town in this country," shouted Cohen, adding, "Wawa isn't even listening. They're not coming around." Speakers blasted Wawa's use of temporary replacement drivers. "I think it's illegal to bring in scabs. Even if it isn't illegal, it's certainly immoral," Cohen said. And the protesters slammed court injunctions that restrict the picket lines to a maximum of two people standing no fewer than 10 feet away from each store. Council members plan to introduce a resolution at Thursday's meeting urging Wawa to resume negotiations. In a press release, Wawa management said it has not discussed the resolution with City Council. Wawa officials said that management is willing to negotiate at all hours but that no talks are currently scheduled. The company has also requested that the Teamsters return to work while contract negotiations continue. But warehouse worker Jim Rivello said the union members will not return to work without a contract. "You would have no rights then? under corporate control," he said. The key contract issue at stake is Sunday overtime pay. The Teamsters want time and a half for all Sunday hours while the company offered time and a half for employees working only certain hours on Sunday. Strikers have clashed with the police several times over the past week and Teamsters say the police are "working for Wawa." The crowd erupted into raucous applause when union spokesperson Bob Ryder took the microphone. "We're gonna get a fair contract," he shouted. "We don't want anyone to shop at Wawa." Brady, a famously pro-union Democrat, was wearing a Teamsters jacket over his suit and said he wanted to show his support for the striking workers. "It's a lousy, stupid issue," he said. "It's ridiculous, utterly ridiculous." According to the Teamsters, many customers have respected the picket lines and sales have dropped. Wawa spokesperson Lori Bruce said she did not have specific information on how business is being affected but she did note that the stores have continued to receive daily deliveries. But Steven Grant, manager of the Wawa at 36th and Chestnut streets, said he has definitely seen a drop in sales. "My business sucks," he said. "Usually right now you couldn't walk in the store," he said yesterday afternoon, at which point only about 15 people milled about the store. Grant explained that he has had to cut back employee hours due to slow business. And he has been working with other managers to organize deliveries throughout the region. Jim Clark, a Wawa warehouse worker picketing in front of the Chestnut Street location, said the company wants to destroy the union. "It would be a long time before anyone cracks," he said. But Clark -- who has a 4-year-old son and a pregnant wife -- said he is concerned about the strike dragging on. "My wife's been a little stressed and I keep telling her it will work out," he said.