After half a semester under the University's new alcohol policy, the party scene at Penn has so far been more under control than last year, according to University Police Chief Maureen Rush. In an interview this week, Rush praised the initiatives of the provost-led alcohol task force -- such as increasing the number of alcohol-free late night activities, a stricter BYOB policy and cutting off alcohol distribution at 1 a.m. for official parties -- that have helped make the parties more manageable this year for University Police. "The non-alcoholic events have been very effective in giving people a place to go," Rush said, noting that students headed "in droves" to recent events like last month's Sansom Common block party. Although the overall number of parties has not really decreased, students appear to be varying their weekend activities more, resulting in a situation that is more under control, Rush said. One drawback, however, is that parties have begun to work their way off campus -- most likely the result of tighter regulations for registered parties on campus. Nonetheless, Rush said, an increase in off-campus parties has not equated to an increase in disobedience. Most party hosts have been consistently obeying the legal 2 a.m. shut-off time for parties and there has been a lot less "in-your-face carrying of alcohol containers," Rush said. "The more important issue is that the majority of participants have been law-abiding and cooperative," Rush said. Rush acknowledged that there are a couple of off-campus houses "of concern" to University Police, where issues of overcrowding, loud music, belligerence and complaints from neighbors have arisen. University Police are working with the individual residents, as well as landlords and neighbors to tackle the situation. "We're confident we'll be able to curtail any future problems," Rush said. Penn Alcohol Coordinator Stephanie Ives, who was hired this summer to help combat alcohol abuse on campus, said that although she does not have a long history at Penn, the efforts since the start of the school year do appear to be working well. Ives cited consistent college house activities and Gimbel Gymnasium's extended hours on Thursdays as two of the many social alternatives students are offered other than partying. Ives said registered events on campus, with the presence of outside monitors, have run very smoothly so far. As for the issue of late-night revelers relocating off campus, she said such action could be a result of misconceptions related to the University's new alcohol policy. "I agree that there is definitely a perception that the University is cracking down." Ives said. "But anytime you make a change, there's a perception you have to deal with." InterFraternity Council President Mark Metzl, who served on the alcohol task force, said there has been a significant shift of parties to off-campus venues -- something he views as a potential problem. "It is unfortunate that the social scene has been moving off-campus because these events are often higher-risk environments," the College senior and Tau Epsilon Phi brother said. Metzl described misconceptions about the University's recent efforts as "the force driving parties off campus." "If students understood the motivations and goals of the current alcohol policy and the work of the administration, they would realize that there is a great desire and need for on-campus social functions," he said.