DNA tests have linked a fifth attack in Center City Philadelphia to the serial rapist believed to be responsible for the 1998 strangling death of Wharton doctoral student Shannon Schieber, it was reported last night. This case, which occurred on July 11, 1997, is the rapist's earliest known attack, said Philadelphia Police Lt. Ken Coluzzi, who is heading the investigation. "It is similar in nature to the other crimes -- it was a young female living alone, and there was forced entry to a window, and she lives in the same area as the other rapes," Coluzzi said at a press conference yesterday, the Associated Press reported. The rapist has also been linked to two rapes in August 1997, Schieber's May 1998 murder and another rape this past August. All of the victims were female college students living within several blocks of Rittenhouse Square. This newest disclosure came on the same day that University and Philadelphia Police held a session on campus to discuss the case and the rumors swirling around it. The hour-long midday forum, which drew fewer than a dozen people, was held in Stemmler Hall's Dunlop Auditorium, located in the Medical School complex. Lt. Michael Doyle of the PPD's Special Victims Unit joined University Police Chief Maureen Rush and Det. Supervisor Bill Danks for the safety presentation, which included an informal question-and-answer session. "There have been concerns and we've heard rumors and what we wanted to do today is give you facts," Rush said at the program's opening. Doyle was the event's main speaker. While copies of the latest composite suspect sketch were being distributed, Doyle profiled the man who has been linked through DNA evidence with at least four rapes and Schieber's murder. Doyle also sought to dispel what he called "wild rumors" about the case. For example, Doyle explained that police have no reason to believe the suspect is a prolific rock climber -- a tale that surfaced because Schieber's killer scaled a tree to enter her second-floor apartment. And there is no evidence that the suspect has any connection to Penn, Doyle said. Because Doyle explained that the suspect unscrewed a metal window grate to gain entry during his latest attack in August -- a process that police believed took place over several days -- topics covered during the question-and-answer session focused primarily on prevention. Doyle, along with Rush and Danks, explained that having proper outdoor lighting, secured windows and doors and street smarts are a few realistic defense measures. At one point, an audience member asked the police panel if they thought Schieber's murder was "accidental," meaning that the attacker does not rape with the intent to kill. When Doyle explained that it is hard to speculate about the thoughts of a killer, the female audience member retorted, "But that's what you do for a living, right?" Doyle offered the best explanation he could. "In this latest incident, he could have slain the victim and he didn't," Doyle said. "But if you're asking me if he's a crazed killer, he's capable of it." After the event, first-year Biology post-doctoral student Omar Harb said he wanted to attend the event because he and his wife live in Center City. "I think many people are concerned," Harb said. "It's just good to hear those things from people who are supposed to protect you." The event was organized in part by Medical Center Director of Safety and Security Jim Atkinson but was open to the entire University community. It will be broadcast on UTV-13 in the next few days.