Whoever wins November 2 will have a hard time matching Rendell's flair. Maybe a good mayor should keep his pom-poms nearby. Few would dispute that popular outgoing Mayor Ed Rendell became famous not only for his economic achievements, but also for his flamboyant personality -- which earned him the title of "Philadelphia's cheerleader." When Rendell stepped into the mayor's office almost eight years ago, he needed every ounce of charm and pizazz to lure businesses to the area, revive Philadelphia's ailing economy and restore people's faith in the city. Although the next mayor will not have to salvage a destroyed city as Rendell did, experts say he should still have a megaphone handy. Annenberg School for Communication Dean Kathleen Hall Jamieson said one of the key jobs of the next mayor will be "selling the city [and] persuading people to stay here, to work here." And while the candidates have not discussed personality much during the campaign -- both Republican Sam Katz and Democrat John Street say the role demands skills and know-how over style or flair -- Jamieson noted that personality will affect the mayor's ability to get the job done. Street says his longtime service to the city and extensive knowledge of local politics will enable him to masterfully and enthusiastically lead the city. "John Street wants to be mayor because he loves this city and understands this city," spokesperson Ken Snyder said. "Cheerleading comes from the heart." Katz says he will inspire and rejuvenate the city with his economic plans -- bringing both leadership and vision to the Mayor's office. "The agenda is cheerleading, promoting," Katz spokesperson Bob Barnett said, adding that Katz's personality is perfect for the job. "Katz appeals to people," Barnett said. "He's warm [and] he's funny." Still, it may prove difficult for the next mayor to match Rendell's vibrant eight-year run. "[Rendell's] energy level is extremely high," Jamieson said, adding that this contrasts with the current candidates' personalities. "They both exude a quiet confidence," she said. With his spunk and creative savvy, Rendell has lured projects such as the Republican Convention and Disney Quest to the area. Many laud him for reinventing Philadelphia as a center for the arts and tourism and for putting the city back on the map. "They can't compare," Penn Political Science Professor Jack Nagel said. "This is going to be a hard act to follow." Throughout the campaign, both candidates have struggled to refute criticisms of their personalities, with some calling Street too belligerent and Katz too business-minded. Street has avoided the accusations that he alienated fellow party members through his aggressive -- and sometimes turbulent -- reign as City Council president. Street has said that his two-time unanimous elections as City Council president should speak for itself. Nevertheless, it took until yesterday for Council Democrats to openly endorse Street for mayor. Snyder says the city knows Street is a candidate to whom the people can relate. "People are going to identify with a working class neighborhood guy," Snyder said. Katz, on the other hand, has fought off assumptions that as a former CEO he will spend more time in business meetings than out in the neighborhoods. Barnett maintains that people have responded well to the Katz campaign, which has toured neighborhoods across the city. "People stop him on the street? a sign of when you're connecting," Barnett said. But Penn Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman noted that Rendell's success can not only be attributed to his pleasant demeanor. "The personality factor is overrated," she said. "He put in an enormous amount of hard work and stick-to-it-ness." And Jamieson said the candidate who wins may ultimately grow into Rendell's shoes. In fact, the first time Rendell ran for mayor, she explained, "he didn't look like the person he now is."