Local utilities and government offices report that they'll be ready for the new year's computer bug. With less than 100 days before the year 2000, Philadelphia is checking and double-checking to ensure that the Y2K computer bug won't cause citywide breakdowns for services or utilities. And after years of evaluation and correction, most local officials express confidence that the transition to the new millennium will be a smooth one. But a recent U.S. Senate report on the Y2K bug -- the result of some computer software codes that record the year by the final two digits, meaning that 2000 may be read as 1900 -- indicates that many small businesses and utility companies are not fully prepared. The report specifically singled out industries like health care and air travel. According to Philadelphia mayoral spokesperson Kevin Feeley, the city started a Y2K effort in 1995, doing a risk assessment of city services and operations. "We systematically set about testing the town," Feeley said, noting that the two main areas of concern are PECO, the city's main electric company, and Bell Atlantic's phone services. In preparation for the year 2000, almost every organization that uses computer technology -- like the Philadelphia Police Department, the Philadelphia International Airport, PECO, Bell Atlantic and SEPTA -- was forced to test its equipment. The Senate report predicts that breakdowns could cause national "disruptions." It also points out that there are virtually no national standards for Y2K preparedness, meaning that every industry is relying on its own tests and evaluations to determine Y2K-compliance. Locally, however, City Computer Chief Brian Anderson said that "as of the end of August we were 91 percent done" with bringing city computer systems into compliance. Anderson said the city has gone over police systems "with a fine-tooth comb." And he said the airport technology and security has been analyzed. He also noted that SEPTA has reviewed their operations and does not have many systems that will be directly affected by the bug. But if either PECO or Bell Atlantic has problems, that could disrupt other major city services, even if they themselves are in compliance. The city has been working closely with both PECO and Bell Atlantic for some time to combat possible problems. Anderson said Philadelphia is also developing contingency plans for the night of December 31, the same night the city is planning a massive New Year's Eve party. Up to 50,000 people are expected to attend. There will be an emergency operations center open all night and extra police officers and city employees will be on duty. "I live by a law called Murphy's Law," Anderson quipped. Despite the possibility of massive breakdowns, both PECO and Bell Atlantic say they aren't anticipating any major disruptions. PECO spokesperson Michael Wood said that "at this point we're finalizing our compliance." He said the company has spent $75 million over the last four years to do a comprehensive inventory of their computer technology. PECO officials have met with city officials several times, Wood said, to review planning, and now the key focus is on contingency plans. "[We] have an obligation to employees and customers," he added. And Bell Atlantic has spent up to $300 million, utilizing thousands of people in its Y2K effort, according to spokesperson Ells Edwards. "You simply cannot have a day when your phone doesn't work," he said. Edwards said the company -- which serves 25 million customers in the greater Philadelphia area -- has tested all the computer technology according to industry-wide standards. He added that there are alternative power generators in place and there will be other back-up plans, such as an early warning system for problems. "We will be prepared should anything happen," he said. But he added that "we believe that January 1 in the Year 2000 will be just another day in the network." And Feeley echoed those sentiments, saying that the New Year's celebration proves officials aren't too worried. "You don't plan a party if you're worried they're going to turn the lights out," Feeley added.