Statistics Professor David Hildebrand, known throughout the University for his wit, intelligence and participation in University politics, died of cancer July 13 at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He was 59. Hildebrand, who was diagnosed with the disease last summer, taught undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students throughout his 34-year career at Penn. Despite his illness, he continued teaching through the fall semester, a decision his colleagues consider courageous and honorable. "He was a very talented fellow who could do just about anything he could undertake," Statistics Department Chairperson Paul Shaman said. Hildebrand, author of a number of books, monographs and articles on statistics -- including three texts on introductory statistics used in Wharton School undergraduate and graduate courses since 1983 -- served as the chairperson of the Statistics Department from 1985 to 1990. Hildebrand specialized in models and methods for the analysis of categorical data. Hildebrand was committed to improving the quality of statistics instruction at Penn, Shaman said. He was instrumental in helping to revise core curriculum within the Statistics Department. "He was certainly a very imaginative and forward-thinking individual," Shaman said. "He had excellent vision for what we should be doing and how to get us there." As a teacher, those close to Hildebrand said he was bright, communicative and inspiring. "I certainly appreciate still to this day all the guidance he gave me as an individual," said former doctoral student Kathryn Szabat, now a Statistics lecturer in the College of General Studies. "He was always there to help students [and] always did his best to make sure they understood the material." Hildebrand was especially known for writing humorous statistics-themed limericks, which he often placed at the beginning of exams or included in class materials to ease the tension for his students. "He just had wide interests, broad talent and you just never knew what interesting thing he was going to do next," Shaman said. Hildebrand earned his master's degree and his doctorate from the Carnegie Institute of Technology in Pittsburgh. He received his bachelor's degree from Carleton College in Northfield, Minn., in 1962. Hildebrand, very active in University politics, served as the moderator of the University Council from 1989 to 1991, and again in 1997. In 1992, he was elected chairperson of the Faculty Senate for a one-year term. Hildebrand was also a member of the search committee which nominated then-Yale University Provost Judith Rodin to succeed Sheldon Hackney as University president. Describing Hildebrand as "an active University citizen," Statistics Professor Donald Morrison praised his efforts in the Faculty Senate and University Council, and also as a member of a national organization, Making Statistics More Effective in Schools of Business. "He felt very deeply that we needed to improve the quality of statistical instruction," Morrison said. Hildebrand is survived by his wife, Patricia; his two children, Martin and Jeffrey; his mother and two sisters.