Officials held a ribbon cutting for the Silfen Study Center, which provides 24-hour space in the heart of campus. It's not often that Penn students get excited at the prospect of studying. But those who joined University administrators, faculty and staff in attending yesterday's ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new David and Lyn Silfen Student Study Center located in Williams Hall proved that it is possible to enjoy hitting the books if the atmosphere is right. A handful of University dignitaries -- including President Judith Rodin, School of Arts and Sciences Dean Samuel Preston, University Trustees Chairperson James Riepe, Undergraduate Assembly Vice Chairperson Ryan Robinson and University Trustee David Silfen, whose $2 million gift helped finance the project -- gathered outside Williams Hall yesterday to introduce the 24-hour study center as a new resource for Penn students and faculty. Calling the center an "absolutely sensational study space," Rodin explained that it will fulfill the student body's need both for late-night study space and a place to go "during the downtime in between classes." The brightly lit study center, which opened in time for the start of classes this semester, contains tables and chairs, couches and laptop connection ports to aid students in comfortable late-night studying. It, along with Irvine Auditorium's main hall, is the first major part of the new Perelman Quadrangle to officially open. A cafZ inside the study center -- which is operated by the Bon Appetit Management Co. -- serves Starbucks coffee, as well as muffins, pre-made sandwiches and salads prepared in the International House's CafZ Bon Appetit. It will be open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to midnight. "The lounge, with its cafZ, is a great place to relax when the lights of learning need to be turned down for a few minutes," Rodin said. And Silfen, speaking to the event's over 60 attendees, explained that the suggestion for the center came from his son, who was a Penn undergraduate when the idea arose. "Our family feels very fortunate to be in a position at this time to give something back to Penn," Silfen said. "Today the multifunctional space that we have here? couldn't be a better combination of resources for students and faculty alike." Representing students at the event, Robinson praised both the aesthetics of the center as well as its importance for late-night studiers. "On behalf of all the students, I would like to say we love this building," the Wharton senior said. Robinson said that the student body will appreciate the late-night study venue, noting that the Starbucks coffee served in the cafZ will especially benefit those pulling all-nighters. "We've been hard pressed lately for quiet 24-hour study space," Robinson said. Riepe said the Trustees are dedicated to "improving the quality of student life." "It gives me great pleasure to think how much this will be used in a very positive way by students," Riepe said. All of the event's speakers hailed the study center as an important step in the completion of the Perelman Quad -- an $82.5 million project that links Irvine Auditorium with Logan, Williams, Houston and College halls and features a landscaped corridor between the buildings -- which will be home to more than 250 student organizations, classrooms, administrative offices, student study spaces and several food service organizations. "We are well on our way to a remarkable transition at the center of campus," Preston said.