To say that Heather Taylor is accustomed to playing in pressure situations would be an understatement. The incoming Penn freshman soccer player has been in state championships, regional championships and county championships with her Northport, N.Y., high school team. Taylor, however, has had even more pressure to deal with in playing for her club team, the Northport Piranhas. But what could be more pressured than playing for a state championship? How about a shootout that lasted through 12 players following a scoreless regulation and overtime in a game for the national championship? That's just what Taylor had to deal with on July 25 when her club team met California's Mission Viejo Elite Mirage team for the under-18 national championship. Oh, by the way, Taylor's team won 11-10 on penalty kicks. "Hopefully [the experience] will help me under pressure situations when we hit really tough games like Harvard and Dartmouth," Taylor said. Taylor is not the only one of coach Andy Nelson's 10 recruits that has experience in pressure situations. Heidi Nichols has been in the Olympic Development Program. Sara Zeilske's FC Royals club team took third at Nationals two years ago. Jessica Weber has been a goalie for the four-time state cup finalist Birmingham (Mich.) Blazers. And Melissa Mandler joined Taylor on the Piranhas team that won the national championship in 1996. Many feel that club teams are on the same competitive level as top college soccer programs. In fact, a former teammate of Taylor's told her that playing for the Piranhas was "just as tough if not harder" than playing for Penn State. "A lot of these club teams can compete very well with Division I college teams," Nelson said, "so I think the experience [Taylor] has had over this year playing top teams in the country in the club level is going to help her in the college setting very much so. It won't be such as giant step up as it is with most players." But adjusting to the college competition will still be difficult for the freshmen soccer players -- as will adjusting to a new coach. Patrick Baker recruited most of the new soccer players, but he left Penn in December to coach Florida State's women's soccer squad. So the new recruits will be playing this fall for a coach who took the helm in March and still has not seen all of them play yet. "I was disappointed when Coach Baker left because I kind of knew what I was getting myself in for when I met him and he talked about my role on the team," Taylor said. But Taylor and the rest of the incoming freshmen offer nothing but praise for their new coach. And Nelson did recruit one of the freshmen personally, Christie Bennett from Fallowfield, Pa. "I saw her play in a tournament at Rider University and she might be a nice surprise," Nelson said. "She was not someone that was really recruited here but she's a good athlete." The 10 freshmen span the entire length of the country -- from New Jersey and New York to California, Oregon and Washington. And they might get a chance to play extensively from the outset as Nelson said he has no problem with starting freshmen. One of those players that might have an opportunity to shine from the start is Leigh Castergine, a speedy defender from Ho-Ho-Kus, N.J. "I think Castergine is going to be another good strong player," Nelson said. "We're a bit short on defenders, so I think she's going to help us right away." Castergine will be rooming with Zeilske this year after meeting her on their recruiting trip to Penn. Zeilske, with her speed and crossing ability, may also see action from the start. Smithtown, N.Y., native Mandler suffered an achilles tendon injury that sidelined her for several months, but she has been cleared to play again and could provide a boost to the Quakers attack if healthy. "[Mandler] can take on any player I know," Taylor said. "She can beat them one-on-one. And she's also very good defensively -- she won't let anyone past her." Weber, meanwhile, has been praised as one of the top goalkeepers in the Midwest -- nearly missing the All-Region II team, which pools from schools in the Midwest. California goalie Katherine Hunt, Holmdel, N.J., native Julie Siebert-Johnson, defender Jennifer Valentine and Portland, Ore., native Nichols round out the freshmen class of soccer players. Siebert-Johnson will also throw the javelin for the Penn track team, while Nichols' FC Portland club team was one of the top eight in the country this season.