University Provost Robert Barchi named English Professor Peter Conn as deputy provost in July, filling a position that has been vacant for more than a year and a half. In his new role, Conn, 57, will work alongside Barchi on academic issues pertaining to undergraduate and graduate education. Conn has been at Penn since 1967, when he started as an English instructor. Since then, he served as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in the early 1980s, faculty master of Hill College House and of Community House, chairperson of both the American Civilization and English graduate groups, founding director of Civic House and, most recently, chairperson of the Faculty Senate. "He is, without a doubt, an absolutely superb addition," Barchi said. "Peter is a distinguished scholar, a world-renowned author? and an outstanding University citizen." Conn will also serve as interim faculty master of Community House beginning this fall, allowing him to interact daily with both undergraduates and graduate students. "I am going to be working closely with the college houses, since that is one of the central projects through which the University is working to enhance undergraduate education," Conn said. In addition, he said he aims to enhance research opportunities for undergraduates in all four schools. Conn resigned from his position in the Faculty Senate to assume his new role as deputy provost. Former Chairperson John Keene, a professor of City and Regional Planning, will fill the post until January, when Chairperson-elect Larry Gross, a Communications professor, will take office. Conn said that while he is deputy provost he will continue to teach English, including a course that offers undergraduates the opportunity to work as teaching assistants at University City High School. According to English Department Chairperson Wendy Steiner, Conn "puts as much energy, if not more, into his teaching" as he does into research and writing. "[Conn] invents new courses that serve as models throughout the country," said Steiner, who has worked with Conn for 20 years. During his career, Conn has received the prestigious Lindback, Mortarboard and Ira Abrams awards for teaching. His numerous books include the 1996 Pearl S. Buck -- A Cultural Biography, which was named a New York Times Notable Book selection. A committee of administrators, faculty members and two students considered about 35 nominees for deputy provost before recommending four candidates to the provost. Former Interim Provost and Law School Professor Michael Wachter -- who first served as deputy provost from July 1995 to December 1997 under then-Provost Stanley Chodorow -- was the University's most recent deputy provost.