Provost Robert Barchi expects a new alcohol policy to be in place by early September. The University is one step closer to adopting a new alcohol policy. The provost-appointed committee charged with implementing changes to the University's alcohol policy has now developed costs and timetables for each of the 45 recommendations made by a separate provost-appointed task force in late March. In addition, University President Judith Rodin last week completed a two-month-long period of consultation with students and faculty members, during which time she received "thoughtful and useful comments from every corner of the Penn community" on how to curb alcohol abuse at Penn. Rodin, who is ultimately responsible for selecting which individual recommendations will be implemented by the committee, said she is currently meeting with various student leaders before she gives her final approval on the task force's recommendations. One such change, for example, is the appointment of a new alcohol coordinator, a position expected to be filled by the fall. Barchi said the University has composed a job description, interviewed candidates and allocated funds for the creation of the position, which fulfills the task force's suggestion calling for additional personnel in the Office of Health Education. Drug and Alcohol Resource Team Adviser Kate Ward-Gaus, a health educator, said the alcohol coordinator is expected to have a background in both counseling and strategic planning and will help evaluate the effectiveness of different drug and alcohol resource programs on campus. Also likely in the fall, according to Barchi, is more non-alcoholic social options, though many of the long term goals -- like a bowling alley and an alcohol-free music club -- are not expected on campus in the near future. "We're looking at a range of options that goes from non-alcoholic events that are present every weekend to special events that are present once a semester," Barchi said, citing "movie night" at the soon-to-be-opened Irvine Auditorium as one possibility. A website that lists social events on and off campus -- with possible links to ticket offices -- should also be available by the fall, Barchi said. Although the committee has approved each of the 45 recommendations made by the task force, Rodin must first grant formal approval before any recommendations are implemented. Rodin said she expects to give final approval "shortly," noting that students will be "informed of all changes in a mailing this summer." "Come September, I hope to see students rising to the challenge put forth by their peers on the Working Group on Alcohol Abuse -- instituting a cultural change here at Penn," Rodin said. InterFraternity Council President Mark Metzl, a member of the provost's implementation committee and a College senior, said the group has worked throughout the summer on all of the recommendations that have been considered "potentially viable for implementation." Barchi stressed the "entirety" of the problem of alcohol abuse on college campuses, explaining that a multi-pronged attack is essential when combatting excessive alcohol use. "You can't accomplish control of alcohol without education. You can't accomplish the education without concern for the individual and accountability and responsibility. You can't make that work without providing social options," Barchi said. Vice Provost for University Life Valerie Swain-Cade McCollum agreed that the task force's recommendations need to be considered as one entity rather than individual suggestions. "All of the recommendations developed provide, I believe, this sensible, and sensitive, balance that will truly curb alcohol abuse on campus," McCollum said. Barchi first drew up a 21-member task force, comprised of 14 student leaders and seven faculty members, in late March in response to the University's then-ban on alcohol at official undergraduate events. The committee's list of recommendations was presented to Rodin on April 27, and an additional committee was created by Barchi early this summer to work on implementing those policies that are approved by Rodin. The task force developed recommendations within five categories: education, ensuring student safety, responsibility and accountability, minimizing risk and expanding social options. Rodin said she will "ensure" that the five areas outlined by the task force will be incorporated into the policy. Proposed risk management measures include suggestions that hard alcohol be banned from on-campus undergraduate events and that alcohol distribution at registered undergraduate events will end at 1 a.m. The ban was enforced in response to numerous alcohol-related incidents, most notably the March 21 death of 1994 College graduate and Phi Gamma Delta brother Michael Tobin, which occurred after a night of drinking before and during a FIJI alumni event.